#PeriodPaath: Menstruation Awareness

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

Government representative of Vadodara,

Subject: An open letter demanding the hygienic conditions for menstruation in our community.

Respected sir,

I am writing an open letter to you. It is a concern with the mensuration hygiene conditions. As we live in a country where periods have been treated a kind of taboo. In fact, they don’t allow girls to enter in any kind of religious pilgrims during periods. People hate to get aware of these kinds of things. Thus they never talk or discuss these things. Unhygienic menstruation can lead to serious reproductive conditions like infection of the reproductive tract, urinary tract infection, yeast infections, cervical cancer and many more.

Irregular, painful, or heavy bleeding affects up to 14% of women of childbearing age.

Though today in the 21st century many things have improved. As many brands like Unilever are coming for the menstruation awareness. The urban area has improved but rural areas women are still struggling with these kinds of problems. As they are still uprooted with their old traditions and beliefs.

In a recent incident, villagers in India’s southern state of Tamil Nadu are grieving the death of a 14-year-old girl who died in a cyclone after being forced to sleep separately because she was menstruating.

Girls who have attended the age of 12 must be given awareness of such kind of things. They should not feel ashamed of asking questions related to the periods.
According to the menstruation hygienic management (MHM), 90% of girls failed to meet the available criteria for adequate MHM, with no significant difference between those using reusable sanitary pads and those using existing methods, predominantly cloth. Aspects of MHM predicted some consequences including shame, not standing in class to answer questions and concerns about odour.

The government should conduct more research on rural areas, as girls over there are more shy to ask questions regarding these. Developing countries like India, Pakistan, in fact, Africa face a large number of unhygienic problems

I request the government to take serious steps regarding the menstruation conditions in our community. To distribute free hygienic sanitary pads. To promote and advertise and spread awareness through social media and other platforms too. To urge Companies to do more Corporate social responsibilities activities among the community.

Only a healthy woman can lead a future generation and further for the overall growth and development of the community.