#PeriodPaath: Menstruation Is Not A Taboo And Not A Joke!

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

Tagore International School, Vasant Vihar

New Delhi

Gia Gupta

Class X

To:
Mr Satyendar Kumar Jai
Health Minister of New Delhi Government

Subject: Situation of Menstrual Hygiene in India

Respected Sir

How amazing it would be if men were disgusted by rape as they are with periods! Menstruation is a natural and universal process for all females. Then why are people in our society so ashamed to talk about it? If this process is a taboo to talk about in public, then shouldn’t every process that nature creates be a taboo as well?
Our society has altered our mind. If a girl goes out to buy sanitary pads, the product is wrapped in newspapers or black polythenes, making sure that no one sees or notices that she is on her period.

Girls won’t ask for sanitary pads to a male shopkeeper. There are still families who don’t allow menstruating females to enter the kitchen or touch anything just because they are believed to be unclean or impure. Our Film Industry had to make a film to sensitise people about menstruation.

Menstrual Hygiene Management is an extremely important issue which shouldn’t be neglected because if we are not enlightened about it or know how to do it, it can cause some diseases that can be fatal or chronic. It is the 21st century, there are still some women who use dirty rags to absorb the menstrual blood. They have no idea what are sanitary pads or how to utilize them. Sanitary pads are not the only solution. Girls can use tampons, menstrual cups and so many products which are there for women hygiene. How can we not educate our young female generation about how to keep themselves clean and healthy? We are pushing them towards very dangerous diseases.

“One sheds blood to protect the world and other sheds blood to make the world. They both are warriors, one at the border and the other at the bed.” said, Sheetal Arora.
It is not only men who have made Menstruation a taboo topic; even us females get extremely embarrassed and shy to talk about periods to a male. Not only this, it is a humorous topic for students in schools, making girls feel incredibly uncomfortable.
I want to conclude by saying menstruation isn’t something only a few people face, but something every female does. It shouldn’t be a taboo topic. All I am asking is we should have more open conversations about Menstruation. Educate boys and girls about Menstruation. Explain it to boys that menstruation is not a humorous topic. India is developing and so should the mindset and habits of people.
Yours sincerely
Gia Gupta