Home Ministry Issues Notification: CAA Comes Into Effect

The Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, issued a notification declaring the controversial Citizenship Amendment Act (CAA) be brought into force from January 10th, 2020. This move comes in the midst of nationwide anti-CAA protests, with some taking a violent turn. In the protests that started before the Act was passed in the Parliament, several were detained and some were killed.

Notification issued by Ministry of Home Affairs | Image Source: LiveLaw

As per the notification issued, “Central Government hereby appoints the 10th day of January, 2020, as the date on which the provisions of the said Act shall come into force.”

The CAA was first introduced in the Lok Sabha on December 9, 2019, with 293 voting in favour and 82 voting against it.

The nation has since seen protests against the contentious Act, with many claiming it to be discriminatory on the basis of religion. Others have also claimed it to be a threat to the secular fabric of the nation, when combined with the National Register of Citizens (NRC).

The NRC was first implemented in Assam, where 19 lakh people were left stateless. There are also reports of detention centres being built in states. However, the Prime Minister has denied detention centres being built in the country.

The anti-CAA protests have been marked by severe clampdown by the government through Section 144, detentions and internet shutdowns. There were alleged cases of police brutality in Uttar Pradesh, with the cops admitting they falsely accused innocent Muslims during the anti-CAA protests.

Several citizens have expressed their shock on Twitter, by criticising the government for this notification amidst opposition from across the country.