Citizenship Act: Why Does The Govt Insist On Creating Religious Battles?

Sabka sath, sabka vikas” (development for all, everyone’s trust) was the decisive slogan which the Bharatiya Janata Party-led NDA government always spoke about. This has been unmasked with the passing of the Citizenship Amendment Bill (CAB) on December 11, 2019, in the Lok Sabha and subsequently on December 12, 2019, in the Rajya Sabha.

It became similar to the concept of ‘Make in India’ but, most products are still being imported from China! The ideology seems to be lagging behind with the exclusion of a single community from the Bill, now an Act.

The only question that can be asked from the government is, why ‘illegal’ immigrants are being framed within a religious cube? The bill can also be considered as a step taken to achieve the RSS’ aspiration of a Muslim-free country!

A Background Of  The Bill

Without exaggerating a lot, as political parties do, I will try to give a brief overview of the complete scenario. The need for the CAA probably rose in the mind of the government after the gradual failure of the National Register of Citizens (NRC) in Assam.

Initially, the NRC was meant to be launched against all the ‘illegal’ immigrants in Assam. But, that didn’t seem to satisfy the BJP’s anti-Muslim intentions, as many people in the list were from the non-Muslim communities. This led the party having to rethink, and then they probably came out with the CAA so that they can isolate the Muslims in India, away from their citizenship rights.

Damage Caused By The CAA

1. It has led to many protests in Assam as it violates the Assam Accord of 1985.
  2. It has created an uneasy environment in the minds of Muslims across India.
  3. It led to the students at Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) going on a hunger strike.
  4. It might also lead to a civil war in different parts of India.

A question that the above discussion brings up is why the government is always busy targeting issues that create public disturbance? Why can’t they work on the issues which really matter? Is it always necessary to create a religious battle?

(L) PM Modi; (R) Union Home Minister Amit Shah.

I feel that the government now should focus on the dreams they promised to sell to us, like:

1. Working towards the improvement of the economy.
  2. Creating jobs for every Indian youth.
  3. Making the judiciary faster for sensitive issues.
  4. Making education affordable to all, and many more issues.

I hope, at least the Indian youth will be able to relate to me, as we don’t give a shit to such a cruel mindset.