#PeriodPaath: Open Letter To Government Representative Asking For Better Menstrual Hygiene facilities In Gaya

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To

MLA of Murarai

Murarai

Subject: Requesting to provide better menstrual hygiene facilities for girls in Gaya

Respected Sir,

Most  respectfully, I would like to draw your attention towards the much-needed menstrual hygiene and related facilities and I want to inform about this subject in Murarai. Murarai being a small town is not left with these restrictions. More than being hygienic, people are much concerned about the ill norms and cultural beliefs associated with menstruation. The adolescent girls are not prepared and made aware about menstruation so they face numerous difficulties at home, schools, and work places. Some get afraid, some are ashamed and some even feel cursed about it.

India’s 113 million adolescent girls are vulnerable at the onset of menarche. Adolescence is said to be one of the most crucial periods for establishing healthy practices. It is also considered to be one of the most vulnerable periods because of major body changes in girls, psychological factors and changing social role. Therefore, girls should be provided with better menstrual hygiene facilities, safe environment and knowledge about menstruation so that they are not exposed to reproductive tract infections.

In below some of the menstrual hygiene facilities needed in our community to ensure good health to girls in menstruation:

1. Every adolescent school going girl or working women must have access to a separate toilet with private space for cleaning, washing during menstruation. The toilet should also have an access to adequate and sustained water supply and soap.
  2. Every toilet should have a well-positioned mirror so that girls can check for stains on their clothes during menstruation.
  3. Girls must have an access to infrastructure for disposal of used menstrual absorbent so that it keeps the surrounding clean.
  4. There is need of good and experienced public health engineers as they design sustainable technical facilities that must take into account the needs of menstruating adolescent girls.
  5. Community front-line workers are also needed because they can make sure clear messages about menstruation as a normal biological process reach families.
  6. The local government body must ensure proper implementation of Menstrual Hygiene Management guidelines and policies in the district.

I shall be highly grateful to you try your best to ensure these facilities so that the girls are free of reproductive tract infections and also feel comfortable during menstruation. Thanking You.

Yours sincerely,

Piyarul Islam