#Periodपाठ Menstruation Practice

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

Station Rd Junaraopura,
Nadiad, Gujarat
Date: 31 Jan-2020

Nadiad Nagarpalika
Kheda, Gujarat
387001

Subject: Regarding Menstruation Practice

Sir/Ma’am

I am writing this letter first to give the brief on-ground reality of Menstrual Practice in Kheda District and post that some proposed solutions. I have been working in the district for the last 2-year with Samagra Siksha Abhiyan officials(BRCC, CRCC) to improve the learning outcomes of the students in Kheda. During this time, I have stayed in the rural setup of the district and experienced menstrual health situation closely.  Besides the workshops conducted on Menstrual health, I  also interacted with various community women, Anganwadi workers and teenage girls to understand their perspectives.

After all this, I could conclude by saying that women throw their pads openly on land and water bodies like the Vatrak river which flows in the Kheda. This pollutes the river and land that cause various health issues to the people who live in the nearby area.

So I request you to provide the cloth pad which is a sustainable and environment-friendly solution and can be used by the women for a period of 5 to 6 years. It is also a cost-effective method that can be benefited for the longer run.

Yours Truly

Samridhi Jain
Gandhi Fellow
Kheda, Gujarat