#Period Paath

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

Menstruation, also known as a period or monthly, is the regular discharge of blood and mucosal tissue (known as menses) from the inner lining of the uterus through the vagina . The first period usually begins between 12 and 15 years of age, a point in time known as menarche.

Most women have between 11 and 13 menstrual periods each year . Bleeding usually lasts around 5 days , but this too can vary , from 2 to 7 days . When menstruation first starts it can take up to 2 years to establish a regular cycle . Tracking your menstrual cycles can help you understand what is normal for you . The menstrual cycle is the monthly series of changes a women’s body goes through . For the first few years after the menstruation begins , long cycles are common . However , menstrual cycle tend to shorten and become more regular as your age . Your menstrual cycle might be regular about the same length every month .

We sometimes use the words “monthly cycle” to describe periods , but that can make it seem as if all periods happen like clockwork every 4 week ! The truth is , different girls have different cycles . On average , it’s 28 days . It’s common for girls to skip periods and have periods come at different times . Most girls get their first period when they are around 12 . A period happens because of changes in hormones in the body . Try not to worry if you can’t figure out your cycle for the first couple years after you start getting your period . Things should settle down eventually . It’s normal for girls to have irregular periods during puberty .

Many women experience painful cramps, also known as dysmenorrhea, during menstruation.Some women experience emotional disturbances starting one or two weeks before their period, and stopping within a few days of the period starting. Symptoms may include mental tension, irritabilitymood swings, and crying spells. Problems with concentration and memory may occur. There may also be depression or anxiety.

Avni Varshney

Class : 6th F

Delhi Public School Indirapuram