#PeriodPaath: No More Underestimating Education

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

Ms. Jyoti Choudhary

Director, State Council of Educational Research and Training

Haryana, 122001

Sub: Better educational implementation for menstrual and sex education.

Respected Madam,

India, being a developing country, is witnessing rapid and needed changes when it comes to better education and awareness about everything including the taboo-stricken topics like sex and menstruation, which only until very recently couldn’t be freely talked about in households and in public. But the evident fact of it still being an uncomfortable subject to be discussed and spread cannot be ignored. I condemn the reality of India being one of the most under educated countries, especially about menstrual hygiene and management.

We have been very ignorant in constantly witnessing over 30 million girls dropping out of school on reaching puberty, discontinuing with their education because of the bleeding or simply just not being fully aware about it, and still not doing enough to improve the situation. While public schools have shown some progress in including some of these subjects in the curriculum, the situation runs par worse in government handled education institutions. Girls, are not provided with adequate education or resources to be assured about the normality of experiencing menstruation. Such is the condition of the awareness of menstruation in our country. To think or to acknowledge sex education in India can just be termed bleak imagination.

Girls and boys, both deserve flourishing sex and menstrual education before anything else. This brings hope to not only improving the attendance of girls in schools, but better sex education can curb spread of STDs to an extent and also prevent unwanted pregnancies. Education continues to be the root of all major issues our country faces everyday. Better education can control more than we think.

Thus, I suggest serious menstruation awareness and sex education in our curriculum which ultimately may bring us good and a better informed populace.

Sincerely,

Ananya