#PeriodPaath: Betterment Of Menstruation Facilities

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

Department of Health and Family Welfare
Govt. Of Punjab

Sub: Betterment of Menstruation facilities and removal of stigma associated with it.

Respected Sir/Madam,

Menstruation is a natural process which occurs in women and girls and menstrual hygiene is fundamental for the well being of women & girls. Awareness and knowledge about menstruation among adolescent girls in govt. schools are not enough. But when it comes to private schools, they are far ahead. When they (girls) have no knowledge of menstruation, how can they facilitate its hygiene and practices. However mothers play significant role in rendering knowledge about it but maximum women in our society are not literate enough to give their children proper knowledge about menstruation. Girl child is often neglected when menstruation cycle occurs especially in rural areas of Punjab. They don’t even know about sanitary pads. They just know misconceptions and false beliefs.

The solutions are many for the aforesaid problems. Even various communities are working on it. But that working does not hold true for rural areas or small towns/districts. The Punjab government needs to work upon govt. schools and its teachers which can play an important role in educating these discriminative things like menstruation, etc.

Solutions:

• There should be proper toilet facilities, access to modern menstrual hygiene products and 10-20 minutes of special class should be given to girls and their parents once in a week by the govt. schools.
  • Various myths and false beliefs can be debunked by the teachers and small clinic doctors related to menstruation process.
  • Various local health personnel with the help of government can visit village wise once in a month to give proper guidance to girls and parents(illiterate ones).
  • Even government can initiate in providing free sanitary pads.
  • The cost of various sanitary products should be minimal in small town villages or cities.
  • Government should also work upon guiding boys or men regarding the various menstruation facilities with the help of teachers and gynaecologists.

Few years ago, Harsimrat Kaur Badal started a campaign called “Nanhi Chhaan” which means Save the Girl Child. What is benefit of saving a girl child if we cannot give them basic amenities, facilities and education regarding menstruation? I just want to highlight that some reputed persons like Mrs. Badal has to start a campaign which has been considered a taboo and stigma in our society especially in rural cities of Punjab.

Sincerely
Jasjeet Singh