#PeriodPaath: Charity Begins At Home

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,
Shri Manish Sisodia,
Minister of Education, Delhi
Sir,
Subject: Regarding Menstruation awareness.

I would like to bring a very important social issue in your notice which needs to be addressed, as you are doing exemplary work in the field of Education, so I would urge you to take some urgent action for hygiene and awareness related to Menstruation cycle.

“MENSTRUATION” – a taboo in our home (nation).It needs serious attention and some very important measure should be included to eradicate the myths associated with it.

Now what needs to be done in this matter is our prime focus.So here I am sharing some of my views on this very burning issues across the nation that needs support across various parts of the country.

1) EDUCATION – Education can bring a revolutionizing change in this matter. By educating various strata of society, by spreading awareness among them we can break the age-old taboos associated with it.

HOW CAN WE EDUCATE THE MASS REGARDING THIS?

A) Case studies can be included in the school textbooks and seminars by doctors can be organized in the school and college so that the issues, especially the myths associated with it, can be sorted out.

B) Pamphlets, posters or advertisement using cartoons or animated pictures to educate people can also play a measure role especially the catchy ads have a measurable impact.

C) HEALTH CAMPS – Monthly health camps should be arranged in slums, urban, semi-urban areas and health-related issues should be addressed in it.

D) INFORMATION BOX – An information box should be installed in all the areas for health-related queries and people can ask to drop their queries in it related to problems of UTI, PCOD, etc. which weekly or monthly can be checked and answered accordingly.

E) Machine – a sanitary pad machines should be installed in schools and public areas like in metro stations or on bus stands etc so that sanitary pads can be easily available to them at cheap rates.

F) Women and adolescent girls living in slum areas should be acknowledged and school teachers from Anganwadi can visit those places and can educate them about the benefit of using pads during periods. All mothers should be encouraged by their daughters about the monthly periods and how to take it positively as it is a sign of a healthy body and reproductive life.

Girls should motivate to go to school in rural areas during this time of the month and should take it as a normal part of life.

Information regarding UTI should also be communicated to them by seminars as it is caused by not taking care of their intimate areas during and using dirty clothes that can cause serious health issues.

On weekends a small group meeting can be arranged in the community for addressing such issues among common people and males should also be included in these meetings so that they too become aware of the pros and cons associated with it.

Therefore with proper knowledge and awareness, we can save the lives of millions of women across the country.
“awareness leads to the better and high quality of life health index.”

Thanking you.

Yours Sincerely,

Puja Bali