#PeriodPaath: Installation Of Vending Machines.

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

Abhilasha Gupta, Nandi

Mayor, Nigam, Allahabad.

Respected Madam,

Sub:Installation of Vending machines & sanitary napkin Incinerator & initiating awareness Programs for Menstruation Hygiene and management.

I want to highlight some major problems faced by menstruating girls & women in my city of Allahabad.

Menstruation is a human issue & physical phenomenon which occurs on every fixed day of every month but many a times girls and women suffer from irregular periods in which women don’t get the periods on the same date of every month as such they have to bear many problems if they get their periods all of a sudden on the roads, market place, schools & colleges & offices.

Looking to the above facts, I request your highness to arrange to install vending machines for sanitary napkins on footpaths, market place, schools, colleges & offices, so that a great problem of women & girls can be solved & the women & girls of our society can move & progress without any fear or shame. Installation of vending machines in schools is a must because 20% of girls leave schools on the start of menstruation because of unavailability of sanitary napkins and better sanitation facilities. Toilets should be provided in schools for better sanitation facilities.

Secondly hygiene management & cleanliness of our city is of utmost importance .Girls & women throw the used & soiled pads stained with blood in the dustbins. Please also arrange & give orders to Municipal Corporation authorities to instal sanitary napkin Incinerators  in schools, colleges, footpaths of roads, market place & offices, then menstruation hygiene management can be achieved to a great extent.

Last, but not the least, I will state that lack of menstrual hygiene Knowledge & other superstitions & challenges further turns menstruation into a monthly disaster for women. Lack of education regarding menstruation creates havoc in the lives of village and urban women and girls. As such many women in India suffer from uterine cancer. The culture of shame and silence around this issue is a blatant violation of a woman’s human right of dignity & wellbeing.

Menstruation is a social taboo topic in India. I request your honour to initiate menstrual hygiene & management awareness programs in schools in cities and villages with the help of NGO’S so that girls don’t leave the schools and dropout ratio comes down.

I hope and anticipate that my letter  will create an impact and  prompt action will be initiated by Municipal authorities on the above mentioned matters for the benefit of women.

Thanking you,

Your’s sincerely,

Anushri Ghosh