#PeriodPaath: We Need Clean Toilets For Menstrual Hygiene

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

The collector,

District alwar.

sub- for menstrual hygiene need clean toilets and better facilities.

Respected sir,

Our honorable prime minister run a campaign “clean India ” which was very important to us and this should be .in this clean India movement roads ,streets should be clean but also in this movement one thing which should also be clean that is  toilets like public toilets, govt school toilets ,bus stand , hospital ..most of these places are unhygienic , spitting tobacco walls , mud , lack of water , no sanitizer and no dustbin…. Hygiene toilets are very important to our country’s women….and especially their menstrual hygiene… Menstruation is a natural ,normal biological process experienced by all adolescent girls and women ,yet it is not spoken about openly causing unnecessary embarrassment and shame.Unfortunately, there are more dark realities around menstruation.

In part of some country especially in villages women are unaware about menstrual hygiene.Common outcomes of unhealthy menstruation can be dermatitis, urinary tract infections (UTIs), which can be fatal if the kidney is damaged, genital tract infection, alteration in the pH balance of vaginal secretions, bacterial vaginosis, all leading to increased susceptibility to cervical cancer.

Of the 166,064 rural women aged 15-24 years surveyed for the National Family Health Survey, 2015-16 (NFHS-4), 51.8% relied on materials such as old fabric, rags, sand, ash, and hay to manage menstruation.

In some areas misconceptions are spread in many parts about the menstruation… For some girls menstruation can be barrier to education ..for many girls as lack of effective sanitary products restricts girls involvement  in educational and social activities... In some part of our area clean water and toilet facilities are often inadequate..in addition , traditional culture make it difficult to discuss menstruation openly…this limits women and adolescent girls access to relevant and imp information about the normal function of their own body ..this directly affects their health , education, and dignity… Many young girls and women of menstruating age live in poor socio economic environment..many of women and girls live in lack basic access to safe water and lack adequate to basic sanitary conditions…these lack of safe accessible water, sanitation and hygiene is particularly troubling during menstruation and child birth…. At this time they need a safe environment that offers protection and guidance to ensure their basic health , well being and education opportunity. In schools for girls we should  provide them clean well hygiene toilets with some facilities like sanitizer or soap , water and dustbin not even in schools also in public toilets… Girls and women in the workplace often miss work because they don’t have access to sanitary materials and places of employment in some states don’t provide resources for women or even have “proper toilets.”

In different part of our country women are facing different problem in menstruation some of like in schools lack of toilets and lack of facilities in toilets , some myths like we cannot worship to the GOD in menstruation time and some of the place women has to live in different place in menstruation time .they cannot cook and cannot do  other house hold work..this is a high time they need a education about menstruation and give them pads and refuse them using clothes.. educate them about menstrual hygiene ..and most importantly provide them better facilities  in toilets which is very important to women and girls in menstruation time .there should be a policy change in the country to deal with the issues around mental hygiene and suggested that the age limit of beneficiaries should be increased from 19 years to 45-50 years and free hygienic biodegradable sanitary pads should be made accessible to everyone through the ration distribution scheme for menstruating women living below the poverty line.

there should be strict policies and laws to deal with the cases of period shaming in schools, colleges, offices, factories, and other places.

considering the specific sanitation and hygiene requirements of adolescent girls and women, state governments and district administrations have a responsibility for putting in place the following.

The framework highlights the essential elements of a menstrual hygiene management programme that should be integrated in to other government schemes.

Your respectfully

Twinkle