#PeriodPaath: Periods/Menstruation

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

My name is Kyra Malhotra and I am studying in DPS IndiraPuram school Ghaziabad. I am writing an essay on periods.

In scientific terms it’s called menstruation. Every female has a reproductive cycle of 28 days approximately. On approximately 14th day of every cycle ovum is released and in the absence of sperm fertilisation do not happen. After approximately 14 days uterus sheds its uppermost lining, this is periods. Periods start in girls when they reach at puberty. Periods continues for approximately 5-7 days and occurs till the age of approximately 50 years and after that menopause happens. During periods proper hygiene should be maintained and instead of clothes products like sanitary napkins should be used. Usually some spasmodic pain and mood changes happens during period, for this hot fermentation, yoga or pain killers are taken. In case of excessive pain or bleeding doctor should be contacted. In some cultures during periods women are prohibited to touch things, from cooking or entering temples, these types of wrong superstitions should be abolished.A healthy diet is required to be taken during periods.