In 2020, Female Foeticide Is Still A Widespread Problem Plaguing India

Save The Children has been one of India’s leading NGOs since 2008. It has transformed the lives of over 10 million children across India. Here, it is registered as Bal Raksha Bharat and runs social outreach programmes in over 19 states. This NGO is dedicated to uproot social evils such as poverty, illiteracy, malnutrition, child marriage, child labour, and child sexual abuse. It strives to ensure the prevention of female foeticide in India.

Female foeticide is an abominable crime and refers to the practice of killing a female foetus within the womb of the mother itself. The prevention of female foeticide is crucial as it is still, unfortunately, a widespread practice in India. India has always been a predominantly patriarchal society. There has always been a clear preference for the male child over the female child. Girls in India have always been susceptible to deep-rooted gender bias in society.

Female foeticide reflects a problematic social mindset and is often caused by numerous social evils such as illiteracy, poverty, gender discrimination, and the dowry system. The prevention of female foeticide is a priority for the Government of India.

Considered to be one of India’s biggest social evils, female foeticide remains widely practiced in many states. This is despite government and NGO intervention.

The child sex ratio as per the 2011 Census was 918:1000 and proved to be skewed against females. The prevention of female foeticide is the need of the hour since despite being criminalised, it continues to remain one of the most underreported and rampant crimes in India. Girls across India continue to face discrimination at every stage in life.

They are also denied the same rights as men and therefore are not allowed the freedom to grow and develop. Women and girls in India remain vulnerable to various forms of physical, mental and emotional harm. Girls in India are subjected to violence in the form of sexual abuse, domestic violence and harassment for dowry.

The prevention of female foeticide is the first step in tackling the gender bias against girls. In India, girls are also considered a financial burden by many people. This is due to the perceived notion that women have limited income-earning potential than men. This one of the biggest reasons for the preference of the male child in India.

The prevention of female foeticide in India is the first step towards empowering women in India. Through the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao programme, the Government of India has taken an initiative to save the girl child and to encourage their education. The aim of this programme is to ensure the survival, safety, and development of the girl child.

Save The Children is an NGO with a truly global presence, with operations in over 80 countries. It runs multiple social outreach programmes in order to reach out to the most marginalized and disadvantaged communities. It works in a dedicated manner to make sure that all underprivileged children across the world receive education, nutrition, and healthcare they require in order to build a better future for themselves.

Save The Children seeks to protect all children from various forms of neglect, violence, harm, and abuse. It works with various Government bodies to formulate and implement multiple child protection policies. Consider making a one-time donation, or donating monthly to NGOs like Save The Children.

The funds are used by them to positively impact the lives of millions of underprivileged and impoverished children. It is the right of every child to experience a safe, happy and fulfilling childhood. The prevention of female foeticide is a priority for Save The Children, and it engages with parents, teachers, and children to spread awareness about the same.

Donations made to NGOs like Save The Children are also exempt from tax under Section 80G of the Income Tax Act of India. These donations need to be cited at the time of filing for income tax returns, along with the relevant documents. Save The Children endeavours to rescue and rehabilitate all children who have had their child’s rights violated.

Featured image for representative purpose only.