If You Judge Queer Folks’ PDA In Pride Marches, I Have Something To Say To You

We often come across folks who question instances of public displays of love during pride marches, which is a commonplace thing. However, before you judge, let’s try to understand the reason and intent behind it.

1. It might come across as an exhibition of love and affection in the public domain; however, quite often, the emotion and sentiment behind this act are of angst and protest.

Pride marches question the societal norms and challenge the establishment for ostracising the LGBTQIA+ community. So, when you see people exhibiting affection on the streets, they are mostly rebelling against the heteronormative society. Through this public display of love, which they showcase despite having their identity and their being crushed for centuries, they stand tall, strong, and united in fighting for their basic rights.

Representational image. Credit: Getty Images.

2. As a majority of people from the LGBTQIA+ community are closeted, they live their life hiding their identity and love from their family and society. If you look around, how many gay or lesbian couples do you see? This very much showcases the reality of the unrepresented LGBTQIA+ community.

This can be the reason why couples who are ‘out’ hold hands and exhibit their love; to convey the message that “We do exist and our love also exists. You can ignore us, laugh at us, mock us, crush our identity, seize our rights, and yet we will rub our identity on your homophobic faces.”

So, the next time you judge people for displaying their love in pride marches, think twice. Theirs is a greater emotion sentiment behind this act of affectionate display.

Had it been about love and sex, aren’t hotels and resorts enough? Why are we doing that on the streets? After all, Indian roads are not comfortable enough for a glorious orgy. So, please see the intent instead of mocking or judging the act.