Video: When Kolkata Chanted “The Rapist Is You”

You must have come across the viral video of the Latin American feminist anthem “El Violador En Tu Camino” literally meaning “The Rapist Is You,” where a group of women are performing this powerful song, outside the Supreme Court in Santiago, Chile. Composed by a Chilean Feminist group, the anthem was enacted against the backdrop of widespread anti government protests in the country. Since then, it has traversed across the world and inspired numerous people to recreate their versions of the same.

With the CAA-NRC row, repeated brutality against protestors and increasing instances of violence against women gaining momentum, the Chilean anthem found its way in India as well. Translated in Bengali as “Dhorshok Tumi-i,” a feminist collective performed the piece in Kolkata on Saturday, January 11, as a mark of protest against Narendra Modi’s visit to the city.

However, this is not the first time that anthem was witnessed in the city. First performed on January 4, at the iconic New Market, the citizens proclaimed their defiance through the song, at the onset of the new decade.

The Dhorshok Tumi-i performance at New Market, Kolkata. (Photo: Dhorshok Tumi-i/Facebook)

The city has emerged as a vocal critic of the incumbent government’s policies and Chief Minister, Mamata Banerjee has also refused to implement the Citizenship Amendment Act in the state. The anthem further gives strength to the critical voices in the city.

Catch a glimpse of the original video here.