#QuickByte: A Letter To Partition, From Those Who Left Their Homes

Dear Partition,

On June 3, 1947, you asked us “to be or not to be”, “to stay or not to stay.” That morning, the sun forgot to rise. It shivered humanity with its wrath. We tried hard to carry our belongings with us, but what about the time we spent in our motherland? We had to left it in bloodshed, with sorrowful hearts.

We can’t express our feelings as we were crossing the line to enter the ‘parted’ land, looking past our home. The whole land, which was wholly ours, was chopped into two. Pray, tell us what was our mistake? Was it a mistake to carry the religious tag with us, from which you identified us? And, even today, you’re identifying us with that ‘same‘ tag.

Please don’t repeat yourself. Now the land is not in a position to get chopped again. Please pardon the land for all its sins, for all her misdeeds. The nightmares of you, the Partition, still hover around us, they are still real for those whose homes were burned, sisters were raped, brothers were chopped…the…what not? Don’t breathe life into yourself. We’ve kept the ‘wrongs of partition’ under the deep wrap of time.

Don’t let that come to the surface. Your memories bring tears that don’t stop and keep flowing into the sorrowful river. That flames of fire which burnt our homes still rose in our minds.  We urge you not to come again carrying the bloody wind. We urge you to forget yourself and us too. We urge you to give back the paradise of our hearts. We urge you to give us back the days of bliss. We urge you to let us see the fair face of the moon, as we bear the world nothing but goodwill. We urge you to forbid us from giving rebirth to ‘you’, as now we want to rise from the tumult of pain and rejoice our motherland.

Let us cut the fences we ‘men’ made as the land doesn’t divide us, but ourselves. Our houses are waiting for us, our people are waiting for us. Let’s meet and forgive the past. Let’s meet and forgive the past.

From,

Those Who Had To Left Their Homes,
Radcliffe Line,

IndoPak.