Why We Must Prioritise The Fight Against India’s Skewed Sex Ration

The sex ratio in India is exceptionally skewed. The 2011 Census states that the child sex ratio, as it stands, comes to 914 females born per 1000 males. The sex ratio in India is heavily biased against females. Therefore, it has become a significant concern for Indian society to save the girl child.

India has always been a predominantly patriarchal society. Women in India face discrimination and gender bias at every stage of their lives. There are several sections of the Indian society where the girl child is considered a burden, and the male child is preferred due to their widely perceived income-earning capabilities. As a result of this, not only are girls discriminated against, but they are also forced to miss out on receiving proper education in life. Now more than ever, there is a need to save the girl child in India.

Girls are often confined to their homes and do not receive the same opportunities, compared with boys, to grow and learn. Social evils such as female foeticide, female infanticide, female genital mutilation, child marriage, child labour, and child sexual abuse are still widely prevalent in India. All of these practices are highly detrimental to the physical and mental health of women and girls.

To truly empower women, society as a whole must make the education of women a priority. Women have the power to join the working force and rapidly increase the economic progression of our nation. Education can help women become skilled workers and employees. The government, realising this, and in order to boost the sex ratio in India, launched the ‘Beti Bachao Beti Padhao’ program in 2014.

Several NGOs have also been working towards this cause. NGOs like Save the Children are dedicated to improving the sex ratio in India. They work with various communities and NGOs to ensure that the girl child not only survives, but thrives. Organisations like Save the Children work to raise awareness of the issues faced by the girl child in India.

Save the Children believes in reaching out to the most marginalised of communities and educating them on the importance of empowering the girl child. Since 2008, this NGO has positively enriched the lives of over 10 million children across India. Save the Children has been able to carry out its various social outreach programs, thanks to the financial support of its thousands of donors, institutional supporters, and corporate partners. Consider donating to NGOs like Save the Children to save girl child.

Featured image for representation only.