Are Schools Becoming Obsolete In This Day And Age?

The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet,” said Aristotle.

Well, literally all of us, at some point, didn’t love to go to school. Honestly, we would give some excuse, like headaches or stomach aches, to skip school. But, in my opinion, there are some major reasons why students generally don’t love to go to school.

The Growth Of E-learning

One primary reason, I feel, is the growth of online learning. Accept it guys, online education has the ‘anytime and anywhere’ learning model which is absent in offline models, and this is developing fast. Anyone with a smartphone can access the internet and watch videos and learn new things at their own time. This is absent in traditional school systems, where students have to follow a schedule.

delhi-government-school
Source: Outlook India

Difficult To Dig Deeper

Secondly, students can’t learn more than just what is in the textbook. If they want to dig deeper, they have to take a lot of effort to find the right books in the library. But, when it comes to e-learning, all the information is just one search away.

Dreaded Homework

Another main reason is homework! We hated school because we were burdened with home-work and/or written assignments.

Some other reasons why students don’t like going to school may be because:

• They are not interested in going to another village for school (if the native place of the student doesn’t have a school)
  • They don’t like to stay in the school hostel as it separates them from their family

Having said that, some students do love school because:

• They find friendship. We all have some friends’ gang from our school with whom we still hang out as adults
  • They enjoy sports. The sports hour was one of my personal favourites during my school life. Some students come to play and indulge in sports.
  • They find their first love/crush! Though this isn’t a major factor, it does contribute to some people enjoying school as they can see their respective crushes every day.

In my experience though, more students hate school than love it.