Quick Byte: Why Is Underwater Heritage Being Sidelined?

There are over a million wrecked ships which contain quite an abundance of culturally significant things but they have not been given much attention. Underwater heritage deserves better attention from both the national and international community responsible for the management (protection and promotion) of cultural heritage.

There are over a million wrecked ships which contain quite an abundance of culturally significant things.

The International Council of Museums  (ICOM) is doing its best in the collection of artefacts in other areas, but to face reality, very little has been done to recover wrecked ships or underwater heritage, specifically. Heritage defines people and it deserves a better status and respect.

Some of the shipwrecks have been privately explored for individual benefits and attempts to get precious metals like gold. We are the voice of our own heritage and if we lay idle while our heritage is being abused, three generations down the line; our heritage would be gone and the element of intergenerational value will be quite violated.