Where Will The Killing Of Quassem Suleimani Take The US-Iran Conflict?

Iran’s Quds military force’s head, Qassem Suleimani was killed in an airstrike in Baghdad on 3rd January. He was one of the most powerful figures in the Islamic Republic, and the second most powerful person after the Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Khamenei. He had a close relationship with Khamenei.

Qassem Soleimani was assassinated in a drone strike carried out by the US. Millions had gathered in Tehran for his funeral, and many wore black and waved the Iranian flag in mourning. Suleimani’s killing is the first step towards the end of the nuclear deal (2015).

Mourners pay homage to Iranian leader Quassem Suliemani
Mourners gathered to pay homage to Iranian leader Quassem Suliemani.

The supreme leader Khamenei wept openly during the funeral. The whole of Iran is burning right now as the Iranians have lost their hero. They are waving red flags, a symbol of war.

But Is War The Only Solution?

If a war is to  happen, it will not only affect Iran and the US but many other big and small countries. Iran is an oil-rich country, and it exports oil to many countries such as India, China, Japan, Korea, Italy, Turkey, etc. In case of a war, these countries dependent on Iran for oil will suffer the most.

The whole world would again be divided into two groups: one supporting Iran and the other supporting the US. It would be a problem for those countries who have a good relationship with both; they will be the most conflicted when it comes to picking sides.

We all know that the US is the most powerful country in the world, but that does not mean that if war happens, it will not face any loss. They will lose many lives and suffer many damages too, and these damages will have a lasting effect for many years.

It will take a country many years to revive post the war, and it will be far behind in terms of development. China and India are Iran’s biggest customers, so, during the war, it will be difficult for these countries because of their dependence on Iran for oil.

There is no doubt that the US is the most powerful country; it provides troops and funds to many other countries. But the US should maintain good relations with other countries and always stay away from war and revenge.

After the assassination of General Suleimani, Esmail Qaani has been appointed as the new chief of Iran’s Quds force.