#PeriodPaath: It’s 2020, But Women Are Still Unaware About Their Basic Rights. Why?

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

Respected Madam,

I am an eighteen year old girl who’s worried about the denial and unawareness among the women of our locality. This unawareness is about their own basic rights and various schemes started by our government for their betterment.

We all are already aware as to how the schemes and budgets are given by the government never really get implemented or get into use for the public at district levels because of the selfish purposes of those in the position of power.

I have been living in this district since my birth, but never have I happened to see a single politician or any government officer talk about a woman’s mensuration hygiene publicly. Our governments allot crores of budgets for women and child healthcare but do we really get to see any change or use of that money for public welfare?

The answer is a clear NO.

Is it not a thing of shame for us that we’re living in 2020 but still, women of our own society are not even being made aware about their personal hygiene and rights?

I’ve witnessed women in my own neighbourhood using old and used clothes as an absorbent of the blood. You know why? Because they’re not aware, even a bit, about the diseases which could happen to them due to their carelessness. Some use it for they are not privileged enough to spend 80-100 rupees for 10-12 sanitary napkins because by saving that 80-100 rupees, they prepare meals for themselves and their family members. We, as well as the position holders in the government, are well aware of the miserable conditions of the underprivileged sections of our society, especially the women, and still, we choose not to do anything for their betterment.

Madam, I urge to you because we’ve certain hopes from you. You’re the only one in our locality who we constantly see working for the betterment of  women of all communities and sections.

I request you to motivate other doctors, leaders and students to volunteer and visit different localities and make women aware of their hygiene.We can also do free healthcare service camps in different villages once a month with the help of our administration and local private and government doctors.

I know that it’s also very important for all us youngsters to remember that every little step and help, in making women aware of their rights and healthcare, matters in saving them from various diseases. It further aids in breaking the stereotypes related to mensuration. I believe that together, as a society, we can do this and make use of the government funds for the right cause.

Thank you.