#PeriodPaath: आओ बोलें Period.

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

To,

CDPO

ICDS, Pokaran 345021

Jaisalmer

Respected Sir ,

subject : Awareness about better menstruation practices in aspirational districts like Rajasthan .

With due respect I want to bring in your notice about the need of proper period awareness , better hygienic practices and about breaking the silence and speaking up about Periods.

Sir , as a Gandhi Fellow , I work in the District Transformation program at Pokaran block , Jaisalmer . Here , I provide field support to 13 different schools in 7 panchayats ,and try to provide inputs in improving the student learning outcome. Other than that , I run a campaign ‘आओ बोलें Period.’ , a  female awareness initiative for schools and the community .

With the help of this campaign, I figured out that not just awareness about periods is the need of the hour here ,but helping girls feel safe and providing them the opportunity to break the silence and finally speak up for themselves is what is required here at Jaisalmer.It feels like as if they have accepted their said place in the society by accepting themselves as the second sex , as Simon de Beauvoir puts it , and feels obliged for doing anything for themselves . Gender as we all know is a socially constructed framework , which has divided the roles of both the genders as the subject and the object .

Periods have been the crucial reason for the same .Rajasthan government’s campaign चुप्पी तोडो is the best example for understanding the above mentioned . If the girls are not comfortable in sharing the space or discussing the topic individually or in an audience, then how can a stranger be able to make them understand the 28 days cycle or how to wrap a used pad or a blood wet cloth.

Hence , I am writing this letter , to seek an intervention on how  to add this sensitive issue in to the school curriculum , conduct awareness workshops , and lastly provide incenators for schools for better hygienic practices for disposals of period waste .

I hope for a response that would help in providing a positive change in a child’s life .

Thanking you

Yours Sincerely

Rakhi Malik