Here’s A List Of Ten Books In 2020 To Feed Your Hunger For Travel

The time of the year is here when your friends consult you for recommendations and resolutions. For me, the answer to this dilemma has been constant; reading and travelling. Like everyone else, I too have failed to stay loyal to my new year resolutions. However, after I watched a video titled, ‘BOOKSTORES: How to read more books in the Golden Age of Content’ by Max Joseph on YouTube, I felt like I could achieve my resolutions.

So, this year, instead of continuing with my default resolution of ‘reading and travelling’, my answer changed to ‘reading about travelling’ and here’s my ambitious list for the same:

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

When it comes to exploring books on travelling, ‘On the Road is a must. This book is based on the travels of the writer and his friends.

Into the Wild by John Krakauer

In this book, Krakauer retraces the journey of Christopher McCandless, who died years ago due to starvation, owning to his isolated lifestyle. His book has been adapted into a full-length feature film by the same name.

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

The author travels to three different countries, namely- Italy, India and Indonesia, and recounts her experience and journey in this book.

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

After reading Bill Bryson’s ‘The Lost Continent’, I wanted to read more of his work. Starting with his best book – ‘A Walk in the Woods’.  A 1998 autobiography, Bryson, along with his mate Stephen Katz, attempts to walk the stretch of Appalachian Trail. This too was later adapted into a full-length feature film.

Neither Here Nor There by Bill Bryson

Another marvel by Bryson where he documents his travelogues in Europe. He uses humour to describe his solo observations and leaves an imprint on the reader’s mind.

Down Under by Bill Bryson

Can never have enough of Bryson! Another travelogue by this best-selling author, ‘Down Under’ is a manuscript of Bryson’s experience in Australia.

“Instead of continuing with my default resolution of ‘reading and travelling’, my answer changed to ‘reading about travelling’.”

Dave Barry Does Japan by Dave Barry

Another hilarious book on travel. Barry ensures to make you laugh and visualise Japan right from the comfort of your bedroom!

Lost on Planet China by J. Maarten Troost

Troost unleashes the fun and hilarious side of travelling in his travelogue of China.

Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure by Sarah McDonald

This book narrates Sarah’s encounters in her twenties in India. She describes how a beggar read her palm and predicted that she’ll return to India for love. The book deals with her journey to India for the second time.

Following Fish by Samanth Subramanian

The author follows fishes in various parts of India to understand the relationship between people and their food. This is the book I’m waiting for the most!

This time, I hope I can complete my New Year’s Resolutions!