“It Was The First Time I Was Scared In Delhi”

Yesterday was possibly one of the most disturbing days of my life.

Up till now, I had only heard narratives about Babri Masjid demolition by the RSS goons (which I acknowledge has nothing to do with Hindus or Hinduism), and how they killed people from my community. Yesterday, I felt the same threat, the same trauma from the very same goons.

कपिल मिश्रा
Kapil Mishra

However, in these stressful times, when there are people like Kapil Mishra inciting violence, there are also my friends from the same religion as his (but not the same mentality) sending out support. They called me and ensured mine and my family’s safety. They asked me to reach out to them if I needed any help at any time. Some of them are not in the city, some of them are not even in the country, but they ensured that I, along with my family, will be safe.

Coming back home from the office yesterday, I felt a constant threat because goons were attacking Muslims in some parts of Delhi. One of my friends called me and inquired about my safety. I told her about my fears, and she talked to me for about an hour, till the time I reached home safely. One of my friend’s father running a hotel in a dominant Hindu area chose to stay at the hotel with the staff who were primarily Muslims—because they felt threatened.

It gave me so much hope and power to fight against all those who are trying to kill humanity. I would like to thank all my non-Muslim friends from across the world for offering support during this difficult time.