My Rendezvous With The Internet of Things

I started visiting Internshala after my sister recommended it to me for internships. At that time, I had no idea about the concept of online training. When my vacations were about to start, I received an email from Internshala regarding online training programs that were going to be offered. I checked them out and loved the wide range of courses that were being offered. I wanted to learn 4-5 skills, but was most intrigued by the Internet of Things (IoT) training. I aspire to build a career in the field of electronics, and this training seemed fresh and a lot more interesting than traditional programs.

I registered for the program, which started with an introductory video. The interface was very intuitive and easy to understand. The training was divided into four modules – the first one was software-based along with the basic introduction to IoT and its scope in the future. It taught me the basics of HTML in a very efficient way. Coding was always a bit difficult for me, but the step-by-step introduction to the language and videos for further details helped me master the basics. Other things I learned were JavaScript and the use of CSS in JavaScript. Furthermore, I learned all these skills while simultaneously practising them, which I felt was the best aspect of the program.

The second module focused on the hardware part. I had received the required kit before the beginning of the training, and it contained more than sufficient components for the various experiments that were part of the program. The module had informative videos on different hardware components, which helped me understand the intricate connections clearly. I was relieved that I could learn at my pace, and spent more time on the topics that I was less comfortable with.

The last module introduced technologies such as IFTTT and its applications in the field of IoT. It also focused on different experiments like BOLT Cloud etc. I enjoyed the tests at the end of every module. They acted as keys to unlock the treasure that was the next module. At the end of the course, there was an exam too, and it was mandatory to clear the exam in order to get the coveted certificate.

After the training ended, I became more inclined towards new developments in the field of electronics. With improved skills and an important certificate, I soon became the core committee member of the student forum for the famous professional society Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE), and also started participating in  activities in other chapters at my University.

About the Author: Atharva Patil is pursuing B.Tech in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from VIT University, Vellore. He joined Internshala Trainings for the Internet of Things and shares insightful details about his experience. This article was first published on Internshala, an internship and training platform.

Featured image sourced from Wikipedia Commons