Is It Wrong To Be In A Relationship With Someone Your Parents Don’t Know?

I’m a 20-year-old girl from Kolkata, and the thought of love and relationships has always fascinated me. I still indulge myself in novels and stories about love that I hope to share with someone one day.

But the very thought of this scares me. Why, you may ask? Well, ever since I was a child, I have been taught that we should always listen to our elders and do whatever they ask us to. As a kid, this was probably alright because kids can make mistakes.

Now I’m an adult, and I like to make my own decisions. The only wrongdoing I can commit is to be in a relationship with someone. If I tell them that I am in a relationship with a person of my choice, they’ll disagree about my choice. And for the choice that they’ll make, I would have to be happy about.

How is that possible? I don’t know either. But, I guess it’s just how the society has been brought up, including my family as well.

We are tying to break the barriers, but this problem still sticks around – the fact that if a 20-year-old girl commits herself to a relationship. She cannot. The elders don’t deem it right. It’s a wrongdoing. Always has. And Always will be.

It’s scary and sad. But at the same time, we cannot blame our parents. We can try to make them understand that falling in love or being in a relationship with someone they do not know is not always dangerous.