Opinion: Delhi Has Rejected Polarised Campaigning And Voted For Development

It was  Feb 10 2015, “People of Delhi have done something amazing”, said Arvind Kejriwal, and yes, that amazing thing still continues. Winning and losing is part of the election. But the Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP) massive victory in Delhi is really remarkable.

We, Indians, have witnessed three major political changes in the last few years:

1. PM Modi’s emergence

2. Anna movement

3. The landslide victory of AAP in the Delhi Elections, 2015

Once again, in this year’s election (2020), Arvind Kejriwal and his party have had a phenomenal comeback. And this time too, the ‘Modi wave’ did not work in Delhi.

I would not like to say that Modi’s wave is experiencing a sunset. Because we can’t predict the mood of India’s entire population, based on one election, or the result of the Delhi election alone. But yes, Delhi has set the beginning of this new wave.

They have changed India’s political scenario and tracks. Delhi voters have rejected the politics of polarised campaigning and voted for grassroots mobilisation. I firmly believe that the Delhi election has been fought merely on the report card of work!

The Aam Aadmi Party’s (AAP) massive victory in Delhi is really remarkable.

Now, here are five key questions, that you might be curious to know the answers to, after AAP’s return to power, in India’s capital:

1. Has AAP Set A New Dimension To The Indian Election?

Absolutely Yes! The AAP, which made its debut in 2013, has staged perhaps the most outstanding comeback in India’s elections. AAP’s victory in Delhi begins the new trend in Indian politics, which is bound to their dialogues for seeking change, and where caste or religion-based politics is not allowed. Somehow, the party has set a new dimension to the Indian election.

2. Is It The End Of BJP’s Victory Run?

Clearly, it is not the end of BJP’s victory run. Rather, we can say that it’s been a record,  Delhi is giving the whole of India a good message.

I think now, it’s time for a re-awakening of the BJP, along with other political parties. They should go with what they promise and avoid prescribing dreams, without any clear vision to turn them into realities.

On the other hand, the AAP is really doing well and they directly connect with the people and are aware of their problems, which help them to set another record victory in Delhi.

3. Is Arvind Kejriwal A National Political Leader Now?

For now, it is too early to say that Mr Kejriwal has truly become a national leader in Indian politics. We need to remember that the people of Delhi favourably voted for the BJP in the last LS election and in 2014 too.

With this perspective in mind, AAP’s win is just a result of what they have done in Delhi and what the people of Delhi think. Honestly, it may not be a similar scenario with people in other parts of India.

Also, issues and political narratives are different amongst the vibrant trends of Indian democracy. The AAP has not set itself as a political force in the whole nation and Mr Kejriwal is still a regional leader. To become a national political leader, he needs more time and efforts in the coming days.

4. Did The ‘Work’ Triumph In Delhi Elections?

Absolutely! If we look at the AAP’s campaigns during the election, then we find that CM Kejriwal and his party’s election campaign was totally based on the growth and development of the region.

They asked for votes based on what they have achieved so far, and what needs to be done in the coming days. Basically, in India, elections are based on the promises a leader makes or the aspirations they have shown. But this time, in Delhi, the trend has changed, and the AAP asked for votes from the people, based on what the party has done so far.

In my opinion, the Delhi election has also taught us a lesson for life; work hard and don’t play smart. Therefore, the AAP government’s previous track record has put them closer to the victory line.

5. What Are The Challenges Ahead For AAP In Delhi?

Today’s mandate is a result of the people’s faith in the AAP. The party’s win is higher than the expectation for any regional political party. But still, there are a lot of challenges for the party to resolve in the coming days.

Firstly, the AAP should make a roadmap for Jan Lokpal Bill, which was the core promise they brought on the table. Along with this, the environment and Delhi’s pollution issues are becoming more dangerous than the past, and the Delhi government needs to focus to counter these problems.

Women’s safety, transportation problems, issues of unauthorised colonies, more development in health and education, transparency to counter issues like corruption, and restoring the people’s faith and belief in the system, are some key challenges for the party.

More vividly, rejecting the politics of polarisation and working for growth and development are the major expectations from the AAP.

To conclude, victory is always sweet and this is absolutely a massive victory for Arvind Kejriwal and his team. Delhi has chosen them for the next five years; hopefully, they will work more actively and effectively than ever before.