CAA: Here’s Why I Believe Bollywood Has A Responsibility To Speak Up

I think that actors should be vocal about CAA. They should definitely give their opinions about it, whether they are for or against it. But in times like this, they should create awareness.

We live in a country where people worship their favourite actors. These actors become motivation and inspiration to people. People are so in love with these actors that they do what these actors say. They would even buy the toothpaste which is advertised by their favourite actor even though they might not use it themselves. Yet, a fan is still bound to use it thinking about the actor’s shiny smile in that particular advertisement.

When Amitabh Bachchan asked people to obtain their “Do Boond Zindagi Ki,” (two drops for life, a successful anti-polio campaign for which Bachchan was ambassador) people rushed to get their children those polio vaccine. They didn’t care to know about the composition or even the side effects of the vaccine. They just went because Amit ji said so. That’s the power they have over the public.

People stand in long queues just to get tickets for the latest Eid blockbuster; they don’t understand the fact that it’s them who make the movies a blockbuster. They don’t care about the story line, but they love seeing their favourite actor jumping from unimaginable places to land safely on mother earth, without a scratch.

The CAA is a political issue which can make or break the country. It can bring humongous changes. So, its necessary that these stars look into the matter, get proper insight and take a stand. It is also important that they spread their words amongst the people to whom it might be an non-understandable thing.

It matters a lot to create a proper political awareness. In times like this they should give back to the audience the time which they have invested in them. They should speak up and not take the neutral path because being neutral, in my opinion, is being on the wrong side in this scenario. They should speak up.

There are many actors, directors, writers and other celebrities who are definitely doing a commendable job and hats off to them. But those who aren’t doing anything, please take a stand. At least let people know about your ideologies, and help them sort theirs.

Featured image for representative purpose only.