Ahimsa: A Necessity For Better Lives

Mahatma Gandhi has said two relevant things: “True Ahimsa should mean complete freedom from ill-will and anger and hate and overflowing love for all, ” and ” Ahimsa is the attribute of the soul, and therefore to be practised by everyone in all affairs of life.” We, in our everyday life, tend to forget these because of our rage, obsession, compassion and madness to achieve something.

Youth Ki Awaaz has started an amazing campaign named “Is India still truly the land of Ahimsa?“.

It is a topic where we all need a serious moment of thought, about the current scenario of our country.

Everyone appreciates love. All kinds of love. India has become bolder in terms of appreciating same-sex love. But, what if that love becomes a toxic drug that destroys not only two bodies, two persons, but also two families, their dreams and aspirations?

I have heard various cases related to inhumane behaviour in the name of love, which not only pushes a person down (be it any gender and any person ) but also shatters the dreams into unfixed pieces. India is still not a country based on ‘Ahimsa’.

If a person rejects a love proposal; the other person, in rage and ego, upon unfulfilled desires, takes steps such as raping or destroying the body or, killing the person. But are these acts really a display of love? Or are they just acts of unfulfilled desire?

Here, discriminating and putting the entire weight upon just one gender would be of no use because cases are registered from both sides. Some people use the weakness of the law as an advantage, to hurt the other, without any fault of theirs. They destroy their innocence, thereby shattering their faith in a particular belief.

That is wrong. The hurt and injustice directed towards a particular gender are wrong. Sometimes, that puts the entire community of the gender under question and puts them into prime suspension without any proof. It just strengthens the belief that only those people are at fault, who first provoked, which leads to the present scenario.

Dowry still has not disappeared completely. It still hasn’t been removed in a whiplash manner. From being harassed, burnt alive, to being killed, women face a tremendous amount just because of their inability to pay dowry.

If our education, values, ethics, culture and traditions do not support, teach or advocate “Himsa”, then how does it exist? How people tend to take such gruesome and cruel steps, towards any human being, is a concern, which really needs to be given attention to and solved.

Positive mindsets, perspectives, and love for the soul would be path-changing solutions to these problems. Removing negativities is a must from this world. Being able to meditate every day and connecting one’s mind and soul to God, would improve thinking, mould negativities and toxic thoughts. It would further lead to putting all this into a piece of paper, crumbling it completely, burning and throwing it out from the dustbin called the “mind”.

Today, people have started to fight over laws. Burning public physical evidence, mob killing, hurting someone physically with stones and rods: is it actually necessary? Can’t we just have a panel of discussions, stage a healthy debate; which could answer queries in a healthy, substantial and logical manner? The best answers and solutions can then be put up as the final verdict, that benefits both sides.

God has created this earth with the ultimate belief of love for mankind. The great Bhagwad Gita, considered as a sacred text in Hinduism,  defines this thought in beautiful statements and quotes by Krishna. Can we not put aside our rage and negativities and hug the positive aspects, and happy things, just for the well being of humankind? A happy life would lead to a healthy Earth – a true “Ahimsa” country!