Sonbhadra: All That Glitters On Son Pahadi And Hardi Is Not Gold

We have been recently acquainted with the treasure trove in the hilly district of Sonbhadra. It was more a story, I think, that all of us can agree was 100% lustrous. No matter, the gold stock was safe under the romping of the snake’s direct poisonous eyes, as we watched on TV.

All of the information that came tardily and all the uncomfortable glances and dome shaped, shiny, raised spots in the belly of hillside made us fractiously feel in a wholly different kind. The big, bloated dream about vast gold reserves were fast shattered.

We were incredibly upset and uneasy, as the news stories covered particularly by the electronic media were sufficient to make our whole world under our sturdy feet slide. All the fences that we had taken so long to build around us appeared to have been swiftly shaken. What happened to being on top of the list of gold reserve nations?

Though once our great country held the proud distinction of being called sone ki chidiya (the golden bird). We are now on a different phase as that golden bird has flown into oblivion. This is what we are watching, just the opposite of the song “jaha daal daal par basera karti hai sone ki chidiya” (where golden birds rest on every branch). That is just too much for us for now.

So, assorted stories ultimately came out but this was how everyone realised that people should only listen to news based on inductive logic. It has been now resolved that all that glitters is not gold.

What has been claimed earlier stands cleared by the Geological Survey of India(GSI) in a very reasonable manner. It was stated, “There has been no discovery of gold deposits of around 3000 tonnes in Sonbhadra district of Uttar Pradesh, as claimed by a district mining official.”

The GSI director-general M Sridhar made it categorically clear that excavation carried out in Sonbhadra district between 1988 and 2000 had not been encouraging and the same had been communicated to the then-DGM in UP.

Such a staccato style of clarification at the government level strengthens the progressive notion about new India. Rejecting the claim, Sridhar said in its report, that the GSI has estimated a probable category resource of 52,806,25 tonnes of ore with 3.03 gm per tonne gold (average grade) for a strike length of 170 m in Sub-Block-H, Son Pahadi of Sonbhadra district of UP.

As news reports informed that the district mining officer, Sonbhadra, K K Rai had on Friday created a sensation by claiming gold deposits in Son Pahadi to be around 2,943,26 tonnes while that at Hardi block was 646.16 kg.

There, we need to be honest altogether. Many of us in this cunning world are just dangling between strength and skepticism.

Featured image for representative purpose only.