The loss of data was a cause of panic for a lot of people, however, the Union Home Ministry passed of the absence of data as a technological glitch, assuring the public that the problem would be ‘resolved soon’.
According to Hitesh Dev Sarma, the NRC state coordinator, the issue was due to the termination of a contract with Wipro. In an interview with PTI, Sarma stated “the cloud service for the huge set of data was provided by Wipro and their contract was till October 19 last year. However, this was not renewed by the earlier co-coordinator (Prateek Hajela). So, the data got offline from December 15 after it was suspended by Wipro. I assumed charge on December 24″.
Sarma went on to inform people that the state coordination committee had written to Wipro earlier this month, and are still waiting for a reply, which is expected in the next few days.
According to this report, after the transfer of the previous state coordinator, Prateek Hajela, in October, it took a while to appoint a successor, which might have delayed the process.
While the Committee in charge has been clear about the technical issue, the Opposition has labelled this as a malicious act. The leader of the Opposition, in Assam assembly, Debabrata Saikia said; “It is a mystery as to why the online data should vanish all of a sudden, especially as the appeals process has not even started due to the go-slow attitude adopted by the NRC Authority. There is, therefore, ample scope to suspect that the disappearance of online data is a malafide act.”
Meanwhile, Wipro said that it had continued to pay the hosting fee till the end of January; and it is willing to continue providing services if the agreement is renewed by the authorities.