Best Scholarship Programmes To Apply To For Your Study In Europe

Editor's note:This post is a part of #GetEUReady, a campaign by the International Labour Organisation and Youth Ki Awaaz to help students aspiring to study in the EU prepare for their higher education. If you're planning to apply or have applied to a university in the EU, share your story here!

For a lot of Indian students who want to study abroad, we know the process can seem a little overwhelming. Financial worries often top the list, and looking for a good scholarship is important for many, many applicants. Luckily, universities in the European Union are offering grants and assistance to Indian students, and it only makes sense to fully reap the benefits! Without further ado, here are some EU scholarships you should know about:

Erasmus Mundus Joint Master’s Degree

For anyone hoping to pursue higher education abroad, this word is going to count for a lot: “Erasmus”. An international study programme, as part of the Erasmus + initiative, provided by the European Union, it offers grants and scholarships to Indian students aiming for a Master’s degree in the EU every academic year.

Under the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master’s Degree, the 27 nations that make up the EU are listed as ‘programme countries’ where students aiming for a Master’s degree in the EU can apply to study. As India is among the list of ‘partner countries’, desi students have the opportunity to delve deeper into their discipline, and make good use of a community of other bright individuals from different regions and cultures.

You are eligible to apply if you’ve completed an undergraduate degree or a recognised equivalent, according to the national legislation and practices in the country you are applying to.

The duration of your course typically lasts between 12 and 24 months, and there are indeed full scholarships for the same.

Apply between October and January. During this time, the EMJMD Consortium will select candidates for the following academic year.

Get to know these tips for applying like the back of your hand! Thousands of people apply for the EMJMD scholarship every year. And it isn’t just your mark sheet that matters. So when you write your motivation letter, a competitive edge will really help. The Erasmus Mundus Association lists the following tips:

Read the full application guidelines for the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master’s Degree here.

Country-Specific Options

Under the aegis of the EMJDM, applicants from nearly every country outside of the EU can make a claim to solid education in the EU. But of course, there are other avenues as well. Several EU nations also have scholarships affiliated with individual universities.

For example, the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme, begun by Hungary’s government in 2013, is awarding grants to 200 Indian students this year. There are loads of other options such as the Emile Boutmy Scholarship at SciencesPo, France, or at Sapienza, University of Rome.

To find out more about country-specific scholarship options in the EU, head to this link.

Here At Home

While the EU has made all of this possible, the Indian government’s involvement in these joint education efforts cannot be denied.

On February 10, the Ministry of Human Resource Development announced several new schemes for Indian students. For 4-year doctoral studies abroad, the Science and Engineering Research Board will award $24,000 per annum to selected students. Over and above that, it will provide “a one-time Contingency/Preparatory allowance of ₹60,000/- and return airfare”.

There is also an attempt to open opportunities to students from highly marginalised communities in India.

National Overseas Scholarship for Scheduled Tribes Students

The Ministry of Tribal Affairs has secured scholarships, exclusively for students from Scheduled Tribes under the age of 35 years, who are applying to study in foreign universities, including those in the EU.

It offers Master’s, Ph.D, and post-doctoral programmes in the field of engineering, technology, and science.

To apply at either of these levels, you will need to have scored 55% (or the equivalent grade) in a Master’s degree, or

The ministry has also announced that “[t]he family income ceiling for availing [the scheme] is ₹6 lac per annum”.

National Overseas Scholarship for Scheduled Caste Students

Similarly, the Department of Social Justice and Empowerment has announced financial assistance to Scheduled Caste students who want to do Master’s- or Ph.D-level courses in foreign universities.

The eligibility criteria is the same as for ST students. But there are more courses on offer:

• Pure Sciences and Applied Sciences
  • Engineering and Management
  • Agricultural Science and Medicine
  • Commerce, Accounting & Finance
  • Humanities, Social Science & Fine Arts.

Currently, 100 scholarships are awarded per year, and the allowance is €14,211 (that’s a little over ₹11 lacs).

Studying in a great university abroad opens more doors than one for a young person. You’ll meet students from around the world. You’ll get to absorb international expertise on the subject you love most. And you’ll steep yourself in the rich cultural heritage of nations far from home.

Across its 27 member states, the European Union promises all of this as you set out to find the university that fits you perfectly.

If you’re thinking of shipping off to the EU for higher studies, knowing about available scholarships is a must! What other things should you keep in mind? We’ve got a checklist for that. Head to this link to plan your study smoothly!