Opinion: “Bollywood, Stop Making Political Issues Your Own”

When you have a public face, or are tagged as an influencer, or backed up with a huge fan following, then it somehow becomes mandatory or is expected of you to raise your opinion, especially when it is out of your profession. Let’s say it’s expected from a Bollywood actor or actress to speak or raise their opinion on something happening across the country, something which is creating political turmoil and havoc.

When Deepika Padukone stood silently with the students of JNU to show solidarity for those who’d faced imminent violence against them—not only did she risk her film, but she also got trolled and also risked her life. She received a lot of hate comments and threats for this.

Whereas, there are some VIPs who take it on themselves and don’t leave a chance to drag their personal grudges in between. From the very beginning, CAA has been met with contention and discussion, and has created a hell lot of havoc and managed to gather the whole nation’s attention. Naseeruddin Shah made a hate comment while discussing the CAA stating that:

“Anupam Kher is a clown and he shouldn’t be taken seriously, he talks all rubbish and whatever he speaks doesn’t make any sense.”

To which, Anupam Kher replied with a video showing calmness and no reaction to his hate comment:

I feel and believe there is no reason to make anything personal on the part of Bollywood actors; especially when they are being followed by millions of people all across the globe. They better keep their personal matter, grudges out of the nation’s issue or when they are discussing a topic of national importance.