This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by ASHUTOSH RABINDRA. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Delhi Election 2020: Kejriwal’s ‘Brand Broom’ Sweeps Delhi

More from ASHUTOSH RABINDRA

Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal’s development model got the people of Delhi’s approval, and the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) gained a landslide victory. The voters of Delhi sent a clear message, that they want the ‘Kejriwal model’ of governance, and rejected the Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) hate politics.

After winning the election, Delhi CM Kejriwal saidI love you,” to the people of Delhi. The mandate tells us one thing: that out of 92,63320 lakh people who voted in Delhi (Toll voters 1.48crore ) around 54% of people want brand Kejriwal.
The hate politics of the BJP, the use of foul language like “goli maro gaddaro ko” (shoot the traitors) by Anurag Thakur and Kapil Mishra, chants of “Desh ke gaddaro ko, goli maro” during Amit Shah’s roadshow, calling a constitutionally elected Chief Minister a “terrorist” by union minister Prakash Javedkar and Parvesh Verma, UP CM’s statement that the AAP is serving Biryani in Shaheen Bagh has been rejected by the people of Delhi.

The BJP’s stand that on February 8 there is an India versus Pakistan match got a befitting reply.

The voters of Delhi gave a clear message that though it is not bad to hate actual traitors, how can we call our own people a ‘traitor‘, just because they are protesting and don’t match the ideology of the right-wing? How can we brand innocent people as traitors? How can our MPs and ministers ask people to resort to violence, which actually happened after Anurag Thakur’s statement?

The BJP claims that they have the strongest Prime Minister and Home Minister in the history of India, then why can’t they go to Shaheen Bagh to understand the demand and pain of the people there? How is a strong leader like Amit Shah not able to get the blocked road cleared, i.e. resolve the issue? The BJP accused Kejriwal of not being able to ask people to ‘clear the road’ but now even a school going kid knows that the police, land, and law and order don’t fall under the jurisdiction of Government of Delhi.

CM Arvind Kejriwal won by more than 21,000 votes and with a 61% vote share.

Throughout the campaign, we saw that AAP talked only about their work and development, and asked people to vote only if they worked well. The people replied by voting for AAP, and nowhere was Kejriwal seen accusing PM Modi. However, this whole time the BJP was seen leveling personal attacks on the Delhi CM.

In its campaign, the BJP spoke mainly on the Hindu-Muslim vote and Shaheen Bagh, and tried to use all sorts of decisive politics. On the contrary, I think that the AAP focused the election issue around education, health, and their work model. I think it was for the first time that any party was seen asking for work on the name of work, and it is appreciable that people acknowledged it.

Delhi voters should also be appreciated for the fact, that they have proved that they know vote differently in different elections, and for Delhi, they figured out that the AAP is the best option for development, and they voted for it.

The biggest problem of the BJP is that they always underestimated Arvind Kejriwal.

Amit Shah, who urged the voters to ‘press the EVM so hard that the current should go to Shaheen Bagh’ must be regretting a lot today. The biggest problem of the BJP is that they always underestimated Arvind Kejriwal. In 2014 Amit Shah tweeted that if Kejriwal would be able to survive politics, then he will have a debate with him, but he never agreed to hold a debate.

The Delhi BJP has no leader who is able enough to counter a mass leader like Kejriwal, and neither the 7 MPs nor anyone from the BJP-ruled MCD was seen talking about its work. What they did is only to attack Kejriwal and tried to spread the hate politics.

The weakness of the INC also helped the AAP. The Congress vote share reduced from 9% to  4.26% this time (0 seats again), 67 out of 70 INC candidates lost their deposit. The BJP’s vote share increased to 38.51% from 32% last time, though they maintained their single-digit consistency by winning only 8 seats (03 seats in 2015). The AAP vote-share almost remained the same at 53.57% this time (54% in 2015) with 62 seats (67 seats in 2015).

AAP members at a rally.

It is also pertinent to note that those people asking why the AAP is not pointing fingers at the EVM should now understand that this time the AAP talked about the security of the EVM, and didn’t allege tampering. In-fact, during the 2019 Lok Sabha elections, also after losing all the seven seats in Delhi, the AAP didn’t raise such questions and since the VVPAT was there, although, a recent RTI revealed that the election commission has not abided by the rules and disposed-off the VVPAT slips within one year.

All the main leaders of the AAP won comfortably, except Manish Sisodia, who won the election but with a narrow margin of around 3,000 votes because of the fight with ‘pahadi‘ candidates.

CM Kejriwal won by more than 21,000 votes and with a 61% vote share, while Amatuallah Khan, who was continuously attacked by the BJP over shaheen bagh issue won the election by a huge margin of around 85000 votes and around 80% vote share.

Whereas INC leaders like Harun Yusuf, Adarsh Shastri, and Alka Lamba lost the election badly, and BJP leader like Tajinder Bagga, Kapil Mishra and Sunil Yadav also lost their seats. Manoj Tiwari, who asked the people to save his tweet, that the BJP will get at least 48 seats, looked like he was in a state of shock.

It is high time that the BJP understands that people need basic things like jobs, education, health, and more, and not divisive politics. Image credit: AAP/Twitter.

This election result is a matter of pride for the people of Delhi, and an example for the whole nation that any party can fight the issue of core development issues and can win it.

Today we saw ‘broom-vroom’ and advantage Kejriwal in Delhi, as Kejriwal swept away the people of Delhi.

Delhi said ‘Lage Raho Kejriwal‘, and sent a clear message that Hindu and Muslims want peace. They said no to hate politics, as it was a mix of Hindu-Muslim vote (54%) that voted for AAP.

It is high time that the BJP understands that people need basic things like jobs, education, health, and more, and not divisive politics.

More from ASHUTOSH RABINDRA

By Kriti Gupta

By Prerana Sharma

By Zakir Ali Tyagi