Quick Byte: A Brief History of 90-Year-Old Corona Virus

Coronavirus is a virus with an RNA genome that surrounded by the outer membrane found in humans, mammals and birds. The virus was found and first reported in the early 1930s in chickens with infectious bronchitis, pigs with infectious gastroenteritis, and mice with severe hepatitis or neurological symptoms. Electron microscopy showed the distinctive shape of the club-shaped protrusions on the surface of a virus particle called corona virus, derived from the Latin crown corona, reminiscent of the crown.

Corona virus has been reported to cause respiratory and digestive related infections that have had economic impacts on livestock for the past 40 years. Typical avian infective bronchitis virus (IBV), swine pandemic diarrhea virus (PEDV), feline infectious peritonitis virus (FIPV), bovine coronavirus (BCV), and the likes are known.

In humans, the corona virus is commonly known to cause a common cold. But recently, it’ been known to cause Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS). Corona virus is attracting attention as a major cause of new infectious diseases in humans, such as new infectious pneumonia.

Featured image provided by the author.