“Delhi Elections: The National Capital Votes For ‘Vikas’ Not Vitriol”

The most awaited assembly election of the year has just concluded, with a massive mandate achieved by Arvind Kejriwal. The Aam Aadmi Party is all set to form the second consecutive government in Delhi.

Arvind Kejriwal Emerges Victorious

According to the Election Commission website, the Arvind Kejriwal-led Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has won 62  seats out of the total 70 seats and the BJP has registered a win in 8 seats hence AAP, the incumbent ruling party will retain power in Delhi.
The party, which ruled Delhi for 15 years before being voted out in 2013, drew a blank.
With AAP retaining power, it is the third consecutive electoral loss for the after losing in Jharkhand and in Maharashtra. The voter turnout percentage in Delhi is reported to be 62.59 per cent, amidst the turbulence of an acrimonious campaign, protests and three incidents of gunfire.
After a daylong tug-of-war, Delhi’s Deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia won from the Patparganj seat, while leader Raghav Chadha, also claimed victory from Rajinder Nagar. “People of Delhi have proven that Delhi’s son Arvind Kejriwal isn’t a terrorist but a true patriot,” said Raghav Chadha.
Further, Atishi Marlena defeated BJP’s Dharambir Singh, in the Kalkaji assembly constituency; she had lost to Gautam Gambhir (BJP) in the General Election 2019.
With this massive victory, CM Arvind Kejriwal, while expressing gratitude to the voters of Delhi said: “I thank people of Delhi for reposing their faith in AAP for the third time. This the victory of the people who consider me as their son and voted for us.”

This was a perfect victory for the AAP supremo, wherein he took over with a margin of 31,583 votes over the BJP’s Sunil Kumar Yadav. Congress Candidate Romesh Sabharwal, who is a first-time candidate, could not make it to the list on the Election Commission’s website.

Due to the devastating loss faced by the Congress, Subhash Chopra resigned as the Delhi Congress Chief on Tuesday.

View image on Twitter
Arvind Kejriwal receiving his winning certificate from the Returning Officer. Image Source: Twitter

Strikingly, BJP’s vote share this time, increased from 32.19 per cent in 2015 to 38.5 per cent, while AAP won a landslide majority, with a 62 out of 70 seats.

Despite this increase in the number of seats won, and the higher vote percentage, the BJP could not form a sound opposition, let alone win the elections.

Some BJP leaders have suggested that the “hyper-nationalist pitch” of the poll campaign against the anti-CAA protests at Shaheen Bagh as one of the main reasons for the defeat.