This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Zeba Zoariah Ahsan. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

Gurudwaras In Delhi Opening Their Doors For Those Seeking Shelter Is Welcome News!

More from Zeba Zoariah Ahsan

I have always considered Delhi to be a safe place to live in. In my three-plus years of stay in the capital, never have I felt any threat to my identity as a migrant for better opportunities and scaling up my career.

All that I am today, whatever I could understand deeply as to how societies work, whatever eye-opening perspectives that I have built over the years, I owe big time to my beloved city – Delhi.

Delhi RIOTS [via Google]
There have been reports all over news channels and on social media about how violence has been spreading and the images are absolutely horrific.
It is extremely painful to wake up to hear how Delhi is continuing to burn over the past couple of days, even with the presence of US President Donald Trump, who talked about peace and communal harmony, hours before mobs unleashed their carnage on innocent people.

There have been reports all over news channels and on social media about how violence has been spreading and the images are absolutely horrific. Journalists have been heckled and injured severely. Did they escape because of their Hindu identity?

Learning From History

What makes me feel defeated is the amount of trash talk that goes around in this system and how one hate crime justifies the other. But I re-instil hope, read up history from different angles and perspectives trying to unlearn every time, to learn something anew.

We must learn from history. Remember, that the atrocities by Nazis on Jews or the Partition of India are very recent events which only happened some 70-72 years ago.

These events happened in the century our grandparents, parents, and we were born. Even in these years of being independent and standing tall, there have been countless events where innocent civilians have been killed, people consumed in hate crimes despite knowing the fact that our country was and is always going to be, an epitome of secularism and brotherhood.

Gurudwaras In Delhi Opening Their Doors For Those Seeking Shelter

Opening Twitter and Facebook at this hour means clicking on hidden or sensitive graphic content. Negativity sells and spreads like wildfire. But despite the negativity, I was hoping to come across some positive news which, unfortunately, doesn’t spread fast.

The Gurudwaras in North Delhi and NE Delhi opening their doors for these victims is such a piece of welcome news! The Gurudwara management all over Delhi is working on the same. Few of my friends are personally trying to reach out to these victims with food, medicines and other essentials.

The Gurudwaras in North Delhi and NE Delhi opening their doors for these victims is such a piece of welcome news!

I sincerely hope that peace and normalcy return immediately and perpetrators of violence are held responsible. A mob doesn’t have a face and often times most of them go unpunished. But the ones letting out provocative speeches and running hate campaigns on Twitter 24×7 should be immediately detained and held accountable.

The following tweet was reassuring.

Tweet by novelist, Nilanjana Roy.

More from Zeba Zoariah Ahsan

By Kamna vyas

By Aastha Singh

By MOHAMMAD SARTAJ ALAM