Opinion: “Why Does A Bill That Has Turned Into A Law Needs Protesters For Support?”

The nation is howling with pain and hatred, while the second-time elected Prime Minister is busy pleasing and entertaining the US President. It is quite hurtful to see the national capital bleeding, and it’s even worse to know that the cause for this is communal hatred.

Taking a deeper look, one might realise that the leading concern is not being pro or anti-CAA-NRC. Currently, the issue is the evidently callous and unresponsive behavior of those in power. The country is going through one of the worst communal hatred that the country has seen in decades, with death toll rising to 39, including a police official. This is certainly not the nation any of us aspired for.

With progression in time, we are moving in reverse direction, still stuck on petty issues, still getting enraged by random information, still losing our minds and common sense to figure out the right side, and still becoming brutal – firing guns and adapting hatred. We are on roads, molesting women, looting houses, firing openly, and throwing stones. This is certainly not the nation we were looking forward to.

फोटो साभार- सोशल मीडिया
We are on roads, molesting women, looting houses, firing openly, and throwing stones. This is certainly not the nation we were looking forward to.

Yes, those engaged in violence are among us. The mystery however is: what has led to this situation?

Firstly, those who’re not accepting the Act or protesting against it must have been heard and paid heed to. It is the duty of those who pass the law to satisfy the citizens. This is what we call democracy. They must not forget: DEMOCRACY IS OF THE PEOPLE, FOR THE PEOPLE, AND BY THE PEOPLE.

Moreover, why does a Bill that has already turned into a law needs protesters for support? This hardly makes sense. It remains a puzzle as to how the mob in support has been instigated. What really evoked their rage to protest in support of an already enacted law? Are these hidden elements sent by the government with the purpose of creating a distraction from the consistently-rising protests against CAA-NRC?

Another facet to look at is the contribution of social media. An enormous and easily accessible social media to put up and take in any information has led to this needless agitation by mobs. It becomes extremely important to not rely on any news without confirmation. Videos and pictures are shared with the sole target of instigation.

Democracy is witnessing its worse phase. Sadly, we have chosen this for us, twice. The least we can do now is to just be sensible, and pause and think. The struggle is regarding proving our citizenship. I think it is naïve to link it up with the Hindu-Muslim status quo. The essence of India will be lost if Indians are divided.