Kashmiri Children Speak Up: “We Also Want To Become Doctors, Engineers, IAS Officers.”

Education Is A Right, But Does It Exist In Kashmir?

‘Freedom of education’ is not only a fundamental right in the Indian Constitution but it is also a human right. Can we think about a place where children have to face people with guns in front of their school, streets, market and so on? Those people controlling our children in the name of safety and security of the nation? Yes! Unfortunately, this ‘heaven on earth’ is known as ‘Kashmir’.

Kashmiri schools re-open, but classrooms remain empty © BBC Network

While taking an interview with some Kashmiri children, I observed that they want to get an education in a proper manner, in a peaceful environment. They love to study and have big dreams to serve their society.

Due to conflict, curfews, and stone-pelting, the education of children gets affected. Lockdown of the internet in Kashmir has also affected the education of children as well as youth.

Some students were unable to fill up forms on the mentioned date, due to restrictions on the internet. Kashmiri students said, “We are living as if we are in the BC era in Kashmir. “

This rendered them unable to compete with the rest of the nation and the world. The children of Kashmir narrated that the bad condition of Kashmir (conflict and curfews) are the main challenges of Kashmiri children.

“Nobody knows that we have also a dream to do something for our Kashmiri people. We also want to become doctors, engineers, KAS, IAS officers and so on. But lack of conditions, to get an education, in a proper manner, affects our education and whole life”, they said.

Many young people have to put an end to their education in Kashmir due to bad circumstances. They also have to face problematic conditions in their businesses, due to the ban on the internet.

If the right to education is our fundamental right, why can’t we try to give such an environment to the children of Kashmir, where they can study without any conflicts?

They want to study in a proper manner, in schools, rather than staying at home because of restrictions. The conflict between the army and stone-pelters has affected the whole life of these children.

Sometimes, children become aggressive towards the army and sometimes, they are afraid of the Indian army. Conflict and curfews are creating negativity in the minds of Kashmiri children.

There are a number of children who have been pellet gun victims and have lost their eyesight, thus rendering them unable to study. The children want to go to school, not only to study but also to play, to meet their friends and teachers.

A school is a beautiful place for them, where they learn how to communicate, how to connect with society, how to make a dream come true.

In such type of conditions, a question mark arises on the existence of ‘freedom of education’ in Kashmir.

It is an education that has the power to change the world. Give Kashmiri children the ‘right to education’. It is their basic right, that would enable them to lead better lives.