This post has been self-published on Youth Ki Awaaz by Somya Sundriyal. Just like them, anyone can publish on Youth Ki Awaaz.

fREEDOM PRIZE 2020

More from Somya Sundriyal

The Freedom Prize “Prix Liberté” took place in the Normandy region of France from 12th February 2020 and 17th February 2020 where 24 international members of the jury between the age of 15 and 25, selected 3 finalists of the freedom project. The 24 members of the jury came from 12 different countries including Germany, Togo, France, Madagascar, the United States of America, India, Cambodia, Lebanon, Spain, Colombia, Egypt, and Ireland.

The members of the jury of Freedom Prize 2020. picture credits :  © Julien Buyck
The members of the jury of Freedom Prize 2020. picture credits: © Julien Buyck

The deliberation started with the inter-cultural workshops and the study of 167 proposals. This year the organization received 167 proposals which were studied well by the jury members. It was implemented with the International Institute of Human Rights and Peace in collaboration and partnership with the academic authorities of Normandy and the Canope network. The main aim and objective of the Freedom Prize are to encourage, motivate and pay a tribute to all the people who have fought or are still fighting for a cause.  

During the deliberation. picture credits: © Julien Buyck

What is the Freedom Prize?

The freedom prize is an initiative taken by the Normandy region in France to spread awareness of freedom, peace, and human rights. This prize is inspired by the values of the D-Day landings of 6th June 1944 in Normandy, France.

The Benefits of Freedom Prize

The winner of the freedom prize will receive a sum of 25,000 Euros and recognition to keep fighting for freedom and human rights. The winner of the freedom prize 2019 was Greta Thunberg, the young climate activist from Sweden.

Who are the 3 Finalists of the Freedom Prize 2020?

1. Loujain Al Hathloul the 30 years old woman activist from Saudi Arabia, fighting for the freedom of expression of women, emancipation of women in relation to men.
  2. Pere Pedro Opaka, 71 years old Argentinian founder of the AKAMASOA association. He fights the right to decent housing, education, and health for the people of Madagascar.
  3. Nasrin Sotoudeh, the 56 years old Nasrin is an Iranian woman who is fighting for women’s rights, gender equality, and personal freedom.

The 3 finalists will now go through an online voting process from 9th march to 12 April 2020 and the winner will be announced this June.

Why is Freedom Prize important?

To my opinion, a lot is happening in this world which we are unaware of. Gender inequality, domestic violence, child marriage, climate change, human trafficking are some of the main problems existing in society. People are fighting for LGBT rights, right to education, right to decent housing and health and much more. Freedom Prize is an initiative and a source of appreciation and encouragement for all those fighting for a cause. Freedom prize appreciates all the individuals and organizations who are daily working to provide a better environment to the others.

As a member of the Jury from India, I am highly motivated to see such young and old people fighting for the same cause but in different manners. I would like to congratulate everyone and not only the 3 finalists because it’s all about a social cause. Together we will make a change. I would also like to pass on a word of advice to all the youngsters in this world that it is not just you and me but it is the “The Us” who have to raise our voice for justice. Look around you and see through the eyes of the people who are suffering each day. Some people are helpless but we are not. We can be the voice of the others and help them. It is time to speak up and fight for your rights to live in a peaceful world full of happiness.

My personal experience as a member of the jury

Since 2013, I am raising my voice for human rights in several manners on a very personal level. When I got selected to be a member of the jury I was happy and excited. For me, it was all about putting my freedom thoughts in front of the others and learn from them their expressions and meaning of freedom. To my surprise, it happened to be very successful than I thought. My participation in this project gave me the confidence to carry on my future fights to the next level. It taught me that even if you are alone fighting, keep going, people will join you ultimately when feel your presence. 

picture credits: © Julien Buyck

Freedom is your responsibility, freedom is your voice and freedom is your action.

I would like to thank all the people who are a part of this freedom project. It was an honor to work with you all and take back home strong teachings

in frame Emmanuel Davidenkoff, deputy editor of the Le Monde newspaper and president of the jury(top), Maxime Sauve (down-right), Jonas Bochet(down-middle), Clemance Bisson (down-left).

The Normandy region, Emmanuel Davidenkoff (the president of the jury and editor-in-chief of Le Monde), Jonas Bochet(director of the International Institute of Peace and Human rights), Benoist Chippaux(in charge of the mission), Clemance Bisson (coordinator of educational programs), Thomas Meslier (service civique) et Maxime Sauve ( apprentice charge of freedom prize)

Thank you to all the members of the jury, Yomna (Egypt), Elise (France), Abdullah (France), Debora (France), Mathis (France), Amel (France), Zoe (Spain), Pi (Cambodia), Lucas (France), Rouba (Lebanon), Cassie (Unites States), Swana (France), Camille (France), Kate (Ireland), Theo (France), Axelle (France), Andres (Colombia), Emile (France), Myriam (Canada), Ronny (Madagascar), Djemilatou (Burkina Faso), Guillaume (France), Kodjo (Tojo).

© Julien Buyck

1. Tanya Sharma

I have always known you as the strongest woman, keep going

More from Somya Sundriyal

By Infosectrain

By Jay Velury

By Sumbulkhan Khan