Opinion: Here’s How A Depressed Person Perceives The World

We use the word depression in our day to day lives to describe our emotional state. The word has become so common, that we use it even when we go through minor inconveniences. Have we ever thought about, how a person who is going through major depression sees the world?

Is it black or white for them or is it colourful at times? What is depression; is it just feeling sad or there is something more to it?

Have we ever thought about, how a person who is going through major depression sees the world?

Depression is not only about emotional changes; it is also about physical, cognitive and behavioural changes. A person suffering from depression will not only cry often but will also be unable to concentrate or retain information.

For a depressed person, flowers do not bring joy and neither does eating their favourite meal. They do not only want to not get out of the bed but also, every night they sleep praying of no tomorrow.

There is a constant battle they fight between choosing to live or die. They feel like sharing things at times and then they also do not want to be a burden on another’s life.

For them, happiness is that guest who never arrives and their smile is a second’s privilege. Playing with a dog will not give them that satisfaction which you or I get, for them, it is just a dog. They do not feel like eating, and sleeping is the most tiresome task they have to end their day with.

In my opinion, living with the constant feeling of being stuck and nowhere to go, is just as hard as living with a handicapped body part. Depression makes our mind handicapped and just like a physical injury, even depression can be treated.

They do not know what motivation is; they are only familiar with the emotion of pessimism. Every day, they set goals, but just like the day, their willingness to achieve it also ends.

Treating depression does not only involve medicine but it also needs loved ones to be present. A depressed person needs attention, love and affection.

One kind word a day can convince them to put in efforts to fight the day. Those who live with depression not only fight their minds but people around them, who are inconsiderate and don’t understand depression is a mood disorder.

One discouraging word from loved ones can turn their world upside down. Every day, waking up to gloominess, having no one to talk to, makes it difficult for them to perceive the world as we do.

Depression is a disorder which can be visible in a person. All we need to do is be attentive towards people around us.

If someone you are talking to is not able to maintain eye contact or always looks down while walking, or if their speech is really slow, then these are visible signs of depression. Let us be attentive towards people we interact with because our acts can either make their life or destroy it.

Let us try to look at the world from their lenses.