Here’s How Bamboo Can Help Us Go Plastic-Free

WhyOnEarth logo mobEditor’s Note: Are you bothered by the drastic changes in our climate, causing extreme weather events and calamities such as the Kerala Floods? #WhyOnEarth aims to take the truth to the people with stories, experiences, opinions and revelations about the climate change reality that you should know, and act on. Have a story to share? Click here and publish.
Can bamboo act as a feasible alternative to plastic?

We all know about the adverse effects of plastic. Still, we don’t seem to stop using it. For most people, the question always is, what’s the alternative? But now we have found a genuine and eco-friendly solution to plastic, i.e., bamboo. Known as “green gold”, bamboo has the potential to replace every plastic thing that we use in our daily life—starting from your morning toothbrush to your pillow cover.

Bamboo is an ideal and cheap alternative to the harmful plastic and has so many uses that it can be easily used in our day to day lifestyles. It is probably the best chance we have for completely eradicating plastic. It is one of the fastest-growing plants in the world, and it releases 35% more oxygen than other plants, making it an ideal plant to plant and grow.

It is the only material that can eradicate plastic in so many ways like replacing plastic toothbrushes with the bamboo ones, bamboo straws, clothes made of bamboo fabric instead of polyester (which is again, plastic), etc. Just like these, bamboo has around a thousand different uses, and they are only growing with people realizing its potential.

Known as “green gold”, bamboo has the potential to replace every plastic thing that we use in our daily life—starting from your morning toothbrush to your pillow cover.

It’s ultimately the versatility of the plant that has made it a solution to the plastic problem. The growing awareness for this material has caused the retail industry to shift its focus more and more on eco-friendly products.

Another fun fact about this material is that after harvesting, it grows back itself, and that, too, without any water or fertilizer. That means, using Bamboo is effective utilization of an abundance of material without affecting any concerns about deforestation.

As the demand for this material is booming day by day, one thing to take care of is its cultivation. We should be educating more and more people about this plant so that the awareness grows and Bamboo production grows.

The cost of bamboo products today is maybe a little higher than the routine plastic products, but as the demand increases in future, the prices will also come down. And for now, we can pay a little extra for mother earth, for the millions of species dying because of plastic. It’s really up to the people now to decide to shift to more eco-friendly solutions like bamboo. Once the people start understanding the real problem, there will come a day when we will be plastic-free. I believe that and we all should believe that!