The First Step To Prevent Suicide Is Practicing Empathy

If only I would have given a call or visited to talk or at least identified her silent suffering, I wouldn’t have lost my beloved sister, a mother of two little angels. I would have held her in my arms and let her know how much I loved her. Unfortunately, I could not.

I have lived with this regret and guilt for eight years now, and my heart is still uneasy while I write this. I lack courage and confidence to love or being loved as I witness the trauma tearing apart my family and every family who suffers from a loss of their beloved.

Suicide takes many faces – prolonged depression, illness, a threat, blackmailing, extreme fear and among all these cases, the only thing that can save a person’s life is meaningful support and care.

According to the WHO, close to 800,000 people die due to suicide every year, which is one person every 40 seconds.

This plea is not directed towards any law, state or government but to you and I. It is an initiative to raise awareness on preventing suicide and bring a change in how we perceive suicide, by taking this pledge we create a healthy and safe environment to talk, share and care for one another.

No system can ensure life’s security for our people and us as much as our love and support can for one another.

I pledge to prevent suicide by doing the following:

1. To educate and be aware of mental health and mental illnesses
  2. To care and share for people around us
  3. To provide a safe environment to help people talk
  4. To practice empathy and extend the right support
  5. To be kind to lend our ears and share a smile
  6. To seek right (medical and psychological) help and talk when life gets difficult
  7. To promise to love oneself and prioritise our well-being

Take this pledge and share with people to build trust around you.

Let the world unite to build a safe space and raise awareness to prevent suicide.

Featured image for representative purpose only.