Opinion: “Delhi Riots Is A National Issue; This Is India Sinking”

Violence is violence. Wrong is wrong. I am a human first. I am an Indian first. I’m not a sycophant! My post won’t save me from hatred. My silence won’t give me love. I want peace because that is what I have been fed all my life.

In ‘Dil walo ki Dilli’, heartless people are killing other people. Delhi is burning. The violence started on Sunday in northeast Delhi’s Jaffarabad, Kardampuri, Brahmapuri, Gokalpuri, Bhajanpura, Maujpur, Babarpur, Gagan cinema in Seelampur, Karawal Nagar and Dayalpur. Alok Kumar, Joint Commissioner of Police, Eastern Zone, said that they haven’t issued any shoot order. They have not imposed curfew as of now. Thirty-four lives have been lost so far, and around 200 people have been injured.

New Delhi, Feb 24 (ANI): Protestors throw brick-bats during clashes between ani-CAA protestors and the Supporters group of the Citizenship act, at Jafrabad in North-East Delhi on Monday. (ANI Photo)

It seems to me that social media also has a role in instigating violence. Words like ‘Islamic terrorism’ or ‘saffron terrorism’ hurt the sentiments of people. This deepens the hatred. I request all of you to not use words like ‘Islamic terrorism/jihadis’ or/and ‘Hindu/saffron terrorism’. The unrest is Delhi is very heart breaking. People are losing lives. Extremism on either side is wrong.

It is important to know that anti-CAA and pro-CAA protests have been happening since a long time now. I believe that both were peaceful. I do not see this violence emerging from the peaceful protests, but rather from the hate speech that people have made. These people are associated with political parties. This is a well-planned riot. As history is witness, the one instigating violence will sit back at home comfortably, while people like us will lose lives.

Kindly know that people from both sides are losing their lives. People from both the sides are coming and helping their neighbors against violence. People from both the sides are accusing police for not doing anything. Politicians from both the parties are successful in their drama.

Please stay indoors and shut social media for some time. Rather READ the news reports.

Why I Believe Posts On Social Media Won’t Help?

If your posts are playing the blame game and blaming the police or the other community, then you are surely a part of the problem. You are upholding the idea of ‘us and them’.

When I posted a peace-making status on my social media handles, religious fundamentalist from both the sides didn’t like my post and started to bombard their toxic ideology in the comments section. People from both the communities are viewing this from one side, i.e., either the Right or the Left. They are failing to see that my childhood place is burning that this is affecting children from both the communities, that this hatred is not worth anything!

It is time we come together and think why it is problematic to chant ‘Jai Shree Ram’ and destroy mosques and vandalise shops. Why is it justified for people to pelt stones on policemen? Why is the silence of those in power not discomforting us? Can we get over religion and political parties? Can we come out and support the idea of India rather than comparing it with the conditions in Pakistan? Can we give religion a back seat and be concerned about human loss? For God’s sake, understand that if this is for God, then you must rethink your idea of God and religion.

Please maintain peace. Let’s not be hate mongers. This is a national issue; this is India sinking. If you think your religion is suffering, know that the nation is too! The true minority in our country is Indians. The rest are busy identifying themselves as Hindus or Muslims.