#PeriodPaath: Importance of Having Better Menstrual Hygiene Management

Editor’s Note: This post is an entry for the #Periodपाठ writing contest, a unique opportunity for you to write a letter and stand a chance of winning up to ₹30,000! The contest is organised by Youth Ki Awaaz in collaboration with WSSCC. Find out more here and submit your entry!

My name is Tejasvi Singh of Indirapuram Public School, Indirapuram.

Our country INDIA . Enriched with so many aspects , so many religions , so many cultures , so many languages , infact so many people will obviously have many things to discuss about. It will have defense to talk about , it will have economy to talk about , it will have politics to talk about , Bollywood , entertainment and so many countless things to talk about… you just can name them ! But one topic doesn’t fit a way with these topics and that is menstrual hygiene . Yes you may not find it as important as those topic which i mentioned earlier but little did we all know this topic too have a significance like all the other topics which are highlighted in our day to day life . The people , the country talks and want cleanlines and hygiene in a broader aspects . you want clean roads , public facilities and soo many other things . which are necessary  I’m not denying that but why don’t you all talk about personal hygiene? The most important in this case is menstrual hygiene. Lets talk some facts shall we?

• At least 500 million women and girls globally lack adequate facilities for menstrual hygiene management (MHM). Inadequate WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) facilities, particularly in public places, such as in schools, workplaces or health centers, can pose a major obstacle to women and girls.
  • The lack of separate toilets with doors that can be safely closed, or the unavailability of means to dispose of used sanitary pads and water to wash hands, means that women and girls face challenges in maintaining their menstrual hygiene in a private, safe and dignified manner.
  • A growing body of evidence shows that girls’ inability to manage their menstrual hygiene in schools, results in school absenteeism, which in turn, has severe economic costs on their lives and on the country.

The facts clearly speaks for itself the condition of menstrual hygiene of women in our country and what prominent steps it needs in our country . One basic step of solution i think will start individually from person to person . Because this issue is very sensitive in our country people find it awkard to talk about it . Girls doesn’t find themselves to have a speak on this issue publicly or in inner walls because the mindest that have been created by us regarding this topic in our society is very difficult to break . The case regarding this issue is even worse in rural areas . And that is the place where steps regarding this issue needs to be highlighted prominently the current image of hygiene there itself is in very questionable condition and the problem of menstrual hygiene there make it even worse . So the government and first of us we as people need to take step .. the government can put up as much  as policies but it is of no use if we as an individual doesn’t help to it . pls don’t create this topic to be as such of an “EMBARESSMENT” to talk about . The girls itself faces so many problems in our country and adding this on them is just a stamp on our society . I have an outmost respect to every person who is working regarding this issues and obviously the girls you are no less of an warrior . I  hope this small piece of my words atleast create an imapct on whomsoever is reading pls try to do best regarding as much as you can under your power .. There is no harm to help our strong and brave womens out there .

” Don’t be different , create a difference ”

Featured image is representational.