“Why Should Society Ever Get To Decide Who You Fall In Love With?”

Let love, irrespective of all social borders, be celebrated. Representational image.

We have grown up with stories about love and romance. Each and every person around us is probably wishing for that one person who will just twirl into their life and take them to the world of dreams and all kinds of wonders. The sad part of the story, however, is that they never got to dream of something different. ‘Man’ is a social animal, to the extent that they gave the right to make decisions regarding their lives, to society itself!

Society took it upon itself to choose the person you love and also, write your story for you.

Why should society ever get to decide who you fall in love with? Why is it that every girl has to dream that her ‘knight-in-shining-armor’ will whisk her away to some fantasy? Why is it that every boy has to steal glances at the pretty girl in the neighbourhood?

Anything that doesn’t fall into these categories or pre-set fantasies is considered to be just ‘wrong’ and ‘unnatural’. It is quite heartbreaking to know that there are so many beautiful stories across the country that are confined within the safety of a closet. Closets have always been a place you hide your secrets in, society made many hide their identities too. People have been so brutal that the dreams that once shut up in these closets have never found a way to reality.

One dreams of a life partner who will be there to hold them and support them. To make them laugh. To teach them to live and love, leaving all confines behind. Love is a very strong emotion and stories about this emotion don’t deserve to be wronged. They need to be celebrated like every Raj-Simran, Laila-Majnu, and Heer-Ranjha.

Anything that doesn’t fall into these categories or pre-set fantasies is considered to be just ‘wrong’ and ‘unnatural’. Representational image.

Indians take pride in oppressing whatever they deem ‘unnatural’, but what could be more natural than two people falling in love and desiring to be together forever? Who are we to choose the gender, religion, caste, race and all the social distinctions of the two people who fall in love? At the end of the day, it’s just two hearts beating for each other.

Let love, irrespective of all social borders, be celebrated because it was an Indian who said, “Pyaar kiya toh darna kya?