Quick Byte: Feeling Homesick? Here’s What You Can Do

Do you have preoccupying thoughts of home? Sometimes, when you see certain things, they give you a feeling of missing home. You may feel sadness for no valid reason and loss of confidence.

When I shifted to another city, I thought it would be awesome; no curfew, no rules, no nagging. *Representational Image*.

Even if you are only an hour away from home, or a jump across the map, living somewhere that isn’t home is hard. When I shifted to another city, I thought it would be awesome; no curfew, no rules, no nagging. But soon, I realised that was just the moody, excited teenager in me.

Being independent means acknowledging that the things you do, but realising that it’s going to be okay.

You may feel left out from everything going on at home. But fear not, because that’s not true at all. Yes, your families and friends are at home, making new memories, and their lives are going on—but the same thing is happening to you! You are making your home at college.

Chanksy, Klapow and Warren (psychologists), all said that one key way to deal with homesickness is to normalise it. Tell yourself it’s OK and normal to feel this way, these bad things are temporary, and this is a part of how change happens.

Instead of saying ‘be busy’, I will insist you to ‘stay engaged’. Create a to-do list of things you want to pursue. Let it be even small habits, like reading books, watching movies. Share your feelings with other people.

With some time, self-care and support, this shall too pass away. Take care of yourself.