Opinion: “Love Marriage Is A Mixture Of Jazz, Funk And Hip-Hop”

Why are love marriages in India still scorned upon? This is a very important sociological question being raised quite often. It is neither easily ratified by the two families involved, nor does it get respect in the society. There is never desired support that one gets from any of the family members or close relatives in love marriages. Further, cases of continual conflict get in the way, and is used by everyone to compel the wedded couple to get miserably tired of each other after a period of time.

“There is never desired support that one gets from any of the family members or close relatives in love marriages.”

Thirdly, there comes the pertinent financial feud between the love-lorn couple, in case only one of the two is employed. Soon, there is turmoil and the marital relationship, which is based on love, starts getting spoilt. Ultimately, this makes the already-nervous couple regret their hasty decision of entering into a marital contract. Despite so many obvious changes in our society, the validity of the extended family remains still, as we realise it practically. Truly, a love marriage exists more effectively in an open society, as parental acceptance is a big reality in our arranged and traditional weddings.

In a love marriage, the individuals prefer to select their life partner on their own right or wrong decision or determination. But this concept often fails, because of the same reasons that are usually explained in various ways. Of all the available causes, one immediate cause for this failure is entering into wedlock without knowing each other properly. Love brings two people together for a short period of time. So, after the ritual of marriage, some small things that haven’t been seen before marriage start creating a lot of damaging nuisance, and ultimately result in a disastrous divorce.

Love is only the first, completely quiet step in an amazing romantic journey of life. Two people become one on the sole basis of love, but these initial feelings of extreme love and intimacy taper off with the passing of time. It is here when everything gets so topsy-turvy, that separation seems to be the only solution. Though we satisfy ourselves by saying that similar factors also give rise to upheaval in arranged marriages, the only vital disparity is that an arranged marriage is acceptable in a family, while love marriages do not get ratification from them.

Lastly, it can be said that love marriage is a mixture of hip-hop, jazz and funk, while an arranged marriage is only commitment.