Quick Byte: Love Is A State Of Being, Not A Type Of Relationship

I received an email from the editors of YKA, asking if I could share something on Valentines’ day, by contextualising it in India, in around 150 words. Let me try.

प्रतीकात्मक तस्वीर

Defining love is an ambitious human project. Though love is a broader and deeper term, we associate the term, more-or-less, with a heterosexual romantic relationship. How can the love of two individuals remain in ‘Eden’, when it is hatred that sells in politics?

Betrayal has to be the default in a relationship between two individuals when lies construct our social reality. Do we seek in love what we lack in newly shaping familial structures?  What defines love in an era where we advertise products by associating the lovableness of a human to its consumption? Is love validation of our existence? How can love be defined when rejections are dealt with acid attacks and suicide notes? Is love possession?

Rumi provokes: ‘Wound is the place where light comes in’. Yet, I insist; love shouldn’t come via wounds as it is better manifested as a symptom of wellness, a virtue of strength. When we undress our love, it is better to see flowers, than sores. Because, love is a state of being, not a type of relationship.

Happy Valentines’ day.